Reminder Secure

can someone advise me on who might be good at geisha hair/makeup??

RubyRosetta is off-lineGold Member
03 March 2011 10:43
RubyRosetta
Model
RubyRosetta
Derbyshire

Hello all!

I have put a few castings calls up recently looking for someone who is able to do authentic geisha hair and makeup. I have wanted to do a geisha themed shoot for ages and I'm prepared to pay someone really talented. So far I've only had one reply to my casting!

What do people think? Where should I look other than purestorm for someone who could do this look well?

Ruby

Chrissie Red is off-line
03 March 2011 10:48
Chrissie_Red
Model
Chrissie_Red
Tayside
Perthshire

MM maybe?
I have only been on the hunt for a makeup artist once and posted a casting and had about 12 replies which was pretty shocking for me as I honestly didn't think there were as many MUAs as there are who are active in reading the castings and things.

x

03 March 2011 11:15
RubyRosetta
Model
RubyRosetta
Derbyshire

I've tried MM, no luck so far...I get the impression that maybe there aren't so many 'up north' lol.

Chrissie Red is off-line
03 March 2011 11:17
Chrissie_Red
Model
Chrissie_Red
Tayside
Perthshire

North.. Your South ;-)

well you are to Scotland.

Is the location of the shoot set in stone? would it be possible to have it more south at all? means you will have a wider range of makeup people available to use - which makes the chances of finding a really good one strong.

03 March 2011 11:31
RubyRosetta
Model
RubyRosetta
Derbyshire

I'll be shooting with George in Newcastle (so you, very South compared to you hehe). I'm originally from Dorset...now that IS south :P.

But yeh, I'm planning a visit there soon so Ideally want to do it there :/

Chrissie Red is off-line
03 March 2011 11:39
Chrissie_Red
Model
Chrissie_Red
Tayside
Perthshire

I know this would be the last ditch thing but how about you try doing the look yourself?

Given that its with George its not like you will be rushed into getting ready so will have time to do the hair and makeup. I started experimenting and playing around with looks more recently (see the one with leaves on my face and the new one with branches/flowers coming out my hair) the branches/flower look cost me £2.50 as it was a bouquet of random curly twigs and fake flowers on sale because it was a christmas thing. I just cut them down to size and randomly stuck them into my back combed hair.

I know your shoot is much more specific though and sometimes its easier and less stressful if someone else is doing it for you but I do think if you put your mind to it you would be able to do the geisha hair and makeup thing yourself. Just look around for lots of inspiration online and youtube videos for doing a geisha look (I'm sure there will be some on there). Plus think of how proud you will be when the pictures come out knowing you managed to do it all by yourself.

Cx

03 March 2011 12:08
Valentina_Velvet
Model

+1 to what Chrissie said, if you can't find someone maybe try it yourself.
I did Geisha makeup as my project for my MUA modules I did, just sourced a lot of images and looked at the styles they use. This image is what inspired me actually because it was a nice take on the geisha makeup :

I used a pale base, powder, bow red lips, eyeliner on upper lids to make the eyes slightly more almond shaped, darkened blockier brows, and pink power along the cheekbone blending into the upper eyelid and brow. Kimono and a wig made by a hair stylist with the ornamental orchid slides completed the look.

A makeup artist will obviously be a lot neater and more professional, and if you're looking for a more authentic look you could get the proper geisha lines down the neck :

Maiko's had 3 lines for special occasions, like graduating to geisha status.

VV

Karen Hegarty is off-line
03 March 2011 12:18
simplydivine
Make-up Artist
simplydivine
Cheshire

Hi Ruby I was going to apply for this casting as I can do the look you require. However you said you wanted some one close by, not the other side of country, which I am. I was prepared to travel for this but I assumed you would not be interested as you were clear in your casting. I am around 3 hour drive away. I am limited on time now tho as already booked for the 12th .. let me know your thoughts

Lixi is off-line
03 March 2011 18:40
Lixi_MUA
Make-up Artist
Lixi_MUA
Lancashire
Blackpool

I also didnt apply for the reason you said you wanted someone local... but have a booking that day myself now... maybe next time you should try being a little more open with your casting... there are lots of us about who travel lots ... good luck though ... if i can help in the future please feel free to send an email xx

10 March 2011 09:33
RubyRosetta
Model
RubyRosetta
Derbyshire

Thanks for all the advice guys...I have managed to find someone a bit more local but next time I will leave my casting a it more open .

And wow, Valentina...that looks amazing! I would love to try myself but am very scared of messing it up and I doubt I could do such an accomplished job as yourself...maybe in the future eh

35 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Alccampbell Bluesapphire dillon1993 Krystald RobynJayne toxicinnocence
63jian biggles485 Boosh D_H_P djb1 eosfan fannmore GlasgowPhotographer James7799 Jamesrichards john_at_tina_spice JohnWindsor lester2705 liteangle MauricesImagery midnite Musicman nemesis OTM_teresa Phiesta1 philippahh photomart rembrandt Rhadamanthus Scotography Sp_digital streetmodel trampmajor Willy_O