This thread is being watched by 1 person
Paul Colwell is off-line
05 February 2011 16:10
Paul_Colwell
Photographer
Paul_Colwell
Hertfordshire
Stevenage

I was astonished today. I had to cancel a shoot because of the amount of time the MUA insisted he would need, which was way more than scheduled.

Now, I can't claim to have worked with thousands of MUAs, but I think I've worked with enough to have a feel for how long a simple look should take. So I thought I'd ask you guys.

How long on average would it take you to apply a basic natural look? I stress 'on average' because obviously I appreciate that every model is different and needs different things. Just a basic natural look, nothing fancy.

I'm not going to tell you how long this MUA specified yet, as I don't want to bias the response.

F&G inFocus is off-lineSilver Member
05 February 2011 16:24
PhotographybyFleur
Photographer
PhotographybyFleur
Kent
Westgate-on-Sea

For just a standard natural look make up only Should be 15-30mins if you need to style the hair as well then 30-60minutes any more than that it is just not cost effective!

Grahame Jenkins is off-line
05 February 2011 16:25
PLLD
Photographer

Tyne and Wear
Newcastle upon Tyne

Hour to hour and a half

Terri Forbes is off-lineSilver Member
05 February 2011 16:37
Terri_Forbes
Model
Terri_Forbes
Grampian
Aberdeenshire

for a basic natural 20 to 30 mins, 45 at a push.

when i was beauty thereapit we only go an hour to do a full bridal make up. so learned to do it in 30 mins so you had time to change, make adjustments where needed.

05 February 2011 16:44
Loki_Winters
Model

Ive been quoted 1-2 hours by MUAs before.
available in Glasgow 7th-9th December

Beauty Renaissance is off-line
05 February 2011 18:51
beauty_renaissance
Make-up Artist
beauty_renaissance
Bristol
Clevedon

Most of the looks that you are going for take between 20-40 min, either it is a natural basik look or a more extrem sophisticated look. It can go longer if there are any adjustments to be made. A natural look is the one that has to be absolutely perfect and also the one that takes the longest to be created... the more extremes looks (rock, arabic, bright colours) in my opinion require less of time because the smallest details can always be adjusted fast...not the same with a more natural look.

Sian Jeffries-Jones is off-line
06 February 2011 10:19
makeup
Make-up Artist

South Yorkshire

Difficult to answer without seeing the models skin but on the assumption that the model has good clear skin a natural "no make up" make up will take about 20 mins, if the model has any pigmentation issues including red cheeks, undereye circles, birthmarks, spots etc... depending on the amount to be corrected it could take up to 40 minutes for the base to completed perfectly - clean beauty looks need to be perfect, even beginner students shouldn't take more than an hour for this.

Sian
www.artistedemaquillage.com www.locksofdesire.com

Sian Jeffries-Jones is off-line
06 February 2011 10:25
makeup
Make-up Artist

South Yorkshire

Quote from Loki_Winters
Ive been quoted 1-2 hours by MUAs before.

Why? you look like you have nice skin so a natural look on you should be a doddle
www.artistedemaquillage.com www.locksofdesire.com

06 February 2011 10:32
spikey19872007
Photographer

from past experiences again dependent on model, 20-40 minutes for something as simple as "bridal makeup" (for a shoot), to about a 1:20 for something involving a little more shaping of the face, but that would also include about 10 minutes briefing and discussing requirements and observations on the day.

Never tried anything O.T.T but planning to this year so I would expect a minimum of perhaps 2 hours for preps, hair, shading, blending etc?
I don't bite, that's the dogs job. www.barrydawsonphotography.co.uk

Misty is off-line
06 February 2011 11:11
misty_model
Model
misty_model
Merseyside
Wirral

20 minutes is generally the quoted 'industry standard' for a natural look, but even with lots of correction I'd say 40 mins is the very max I'd ever take, 60 mins with hair as well.
UK wide petite, flexible, professional dancer/model working to nude levels

25 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Ashleighmckenzie Astramore Chrissy_X rebeccasasa xxmrmthxx
abouncer antoinewynn cliffc couchestudio D_H_P digitizer djb1 ElegantCaptures ellessephotography eosfan gwentman MIB NigelAdams psn redbaron redmedia shadowtime74 tucker217 Zuiko
harbourstudio