Reminder Secure

How to get flexible? - Without joining Yoga/Pilates classes

This thread is being watched by 1 person
12 January 2011 18:10
Eva_Giles
Model

Hey,
Just wondering if anyone has any tips on getting flexible? Any particular stretches or ideas on where to go for advice ?

I dont want to join a gym because I have a rubbish hip joint and found when I went to a pilates class I was stuck in bed for three days. I have decided I would like to do my own routine at home. Then I can avoid any stretches involving my hip if need be.

Eva
Working upto lingerie at £15p/h.

Nicky Anderson is off-line
12 January 2011 18:35
meili01
Model
meili01
Devon

Ideas for where to go for advice:

Not sure if this helps but I see a physio for my knees and he's good at giving me different exercises depending on what I want to improve, whether it's related to my knees or not.
Or do you have any dancing/sport-playing friends? They may be able to help a bit.
Also you can get books that demonstrate different stretches etc...

Hope this helps!

Nic

P.S Absolutely adore your portfolio.

12 January 2011 18:40
Eva_Giles
Model

Quote from meili01
Ideas for where to go for advice: Not sure if this helps but I see a physio for my knees and he's good at giving me different exercises depending on what I want to improve, whether it's related to my knees or not. Or do you have any dancing/sport-playing friends? They may be able to help a bit. Also you can get books that demonstrate different stretches etc... Hope this helps! Nic P.S Absolutely adore your portfolio.

Thankyou!  I dont have a physio to talk to but I will have a look at some yoga books I think.

12 January 2011 18:42
BaileyK
Model

Try putting your legs behind your head!
Its so fun but you feel light headed ;-)

Misty is off-line
12 January 2011 18:48
misty_model
Model
misty_model
Merseyside
Wirral

Hi eva

As a trained dancer, and a competition pole dancer I spend a LOT of time stretching, so I know quite a lot about this subject.

Okay, so first of all, WHERE do you want to be flexible? Different stretches are aimed at different parts of your body, depending what your goal is, I indepedently stretch my quads, hamstrings, hip flexors, back and shoulders to achieve different things. Do you mean just just want to have overall more flexibility, or do you have an aim, such as flexible enough to touch my toes/close a cobra (touch head with toes)/achieve splits.

SECONDLY, if you are saying pilates took you out of action because of your hip, you're going to struggle with any serious stretching for the legs. Pilates and yoga are the easiest and gentlest ways of stretching your body and steadily increasing your flexibility. Any stretches I know of are basically interpretations of yoga poses, could you simply pick and choose ones which will not involve your hip, eg back and hamstring stretches and poses which focus on your core rather than splitzy lunge stretches?

THIRDLY, if you want to significantly improve your flexibility, the BIGGEST piece of advice is you need to stretch - EVERY SINGLE DAY gently and sensibly to maintain steady results.

Stretches should feel like your muscles/tendons are just pulling to the point of slight discomfort, breathe in as you begin a stretch, and each time you breathe out focus on relaxing the pulling muscle and gently easily yourself slightly more into the stretch. Hold each stretch for 30 seconds, or do 3 10 second reps if you're a hyper person and get bored holding one pose for a long time. There's no point bothering with a stretch if you don't hold it for a min of 30 secs.

Try these 2 to begin with:

Hamstrings - Sit with your feet shoulder width apart, pull out your butt cheeks so bones are on the floor, keep knees flat to floor. Hold your feet and pull your toes back gently, breathe in and bring your head up and push your chest forwards, breathe out and relax with the stretch, only pull to the point of gentle discomfort. Hold for 30 secs and repeat up to 3 times.

Back - Lie of floor face down, breathe in, as you breathe out push your upper body off floor, keeping legs flat to floor, bending your back up like a 'cobra' rising. If you feel uber flexy in this pose, lift toes, bend knees and touch head.

Hope this helps, if you really struggle with your hip and want safe stretches designed for you, see a physio and they will outline what you can comfortably carry out

Misty xx
UK wide petite, flexible, professional dancer/model working to nude levels

13 January 2011 08:07
Eva_Giles
Model

Thank you very much misty! All of that makes complete sense. I want to be more flexible all over, at the moment i struggle to bend down and reach past my knees!.

My final aim is to try pole dancing, but I want to improve my general flexibility before I struggle on pole.

Tathiel is off-line
14 January 2011 12:02
Tathiel
Model
Tathiel
Bristol
Bristol

I used to struggle bending down past my knees but after two years of a class called "Body Balance" at the gym I can finally touch my toes with a slight bend in my knees. My back isn't straight yet but it's been a massive improvement for me as my hamstring/calf flexibility is awful!!

I have seen the Les Mills classes (Body Combat, Body Balance, Body Pump ect) advertised as pay per classes in non gym environments but the only downside is they are a set routine of classes that you repeat for 3 months before they bring out another routine. The routines are 8 tracks consisting of a Tai Chi Warm-up, Sun Sanitation, Standing Strength, Balance, Hip Opener (which I would say you would definitely have to avoid from what you have said about your hip), Abs and Core strength, Back strength, Twists, Hamstring Flexibility and then relaxation at the end. Instructors usually start swapping tracks around from other releases so classes don't become too samey after a few weeks.

It is a good class to look into to see if you can find any outside a gym environment. You can always sit out the Hip Opener track and focus on something else. A good instructor will help you with this.

http://www.lesmills.com/global/bodybalance/bodybalance-group-fitness-class.aspx

As for your hip it might be worth if you don't know already what causes the issue to get it looked at. It could be something muscular causing the problem whereby strengthening the muscles around your hip would help you both protect it and be able to do stretches in the future.

Misty is off-line
14 January 2011 20:05
misty_model
Model
misty_model
Merseyside
Wirral

No probs, i'm in uber stretch training at the moment, trying to over split and contort, the aim is to achieve SPATCHCOCK!!!

So I'm becoming a bi of an expert - go for the hamstrings stretches, if you type in 'Hamstring Stretches' into google you'll get some nice variants, 1 year ago I couldn't split and could barely thouch my toes, I've now got a 4 inch over stretch on my ham, as in I can now prop my front foot up 4 inches off the floor when I split and the knee stays on the floor, so it really does work, but it won't happen overnight.

Any more advice just pm me, and good luck, keep me updated on your progress!emoticon
And defo go for pole, I'd start now if I were you, cause your flexibility will increase with your progression. It's the best EVER!!! Have a peep on my port for some pretty pole stuff emoticon
UK wide petite, flexible, professional dancer/model working to nude levels

Catherine is off-lineSilver Member
14 January 2011 20:37
catherinewilliams
Model
catherinewilliams
West Midlands
Ross-on-wye

I think pilates is great. Has really helped my back. Maybe you just did too much too soon. Maybe get your gp to refer you to a physio if you keep having trouble. You need to take it gradually.Been trying to be able to do the splits for 4 years. Its a slow process.

So don't try this yet.

Sorry couldn't resist.I think Shes unique
I once spent a weekend in Bath, with ass-kicking mum of 8 Miss Cath. No offence to this mummy, the play-fighting was funny. But now I might need an Osteopath! by Laya Randle-Conde

Tathiel is off-line
14 January 2011 21:39
Tathiel
Model
Tathiel
Bristol
Bristol

Quote from misty_model
So I'm becoming a bi of an expert - go for the hamstrings stretches, if you type in 'Hamstring Stretches' into google you'll get some nice variants, 1 year ago I couldn't split and could barely thouch my toes, I've now got a 4 inch over stretch on my ham, as in I can now prop my front foot up 4 inches off the floor when I split and the knee stays on the floor, so it really does work, but it won't happen overnight.

How did you manage results that quickly?? It's taken me two years of regular Body balance classes (2-5 times a week) to even manage to to just touch my toes. I'm envious. I would love to be able to do the splits. I have the hip flexiblity (my hips are very flexible) but not the hamstring, back of knee or calf muscle flexibility (i say back of knee as I always feel a tightness/pulling in the back of my knee when stretching the hamstrings and calf muscles.

28 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Astramore chosin fashion29 Jessicaliu1993 lynnesel missminiskirt pinklilly Winterlilly
63jian antoinewynn cliffc couchestudio dougharding edwards Essexjohn flair_photography gshocker30 Impulse_Images Kjoservices mamamiya MIB modelboutique photomart rscott360 Scottda steeee212 steveh32 westend_portfolios