Reminder Secure

Have any of you ever done your own hair extensions?

Candy is off-line
04 January 2011 17:25
PrincessCarly
Model
PrincessCarly
County Durham
Stockton

Hiya Guys,
Im thinking of getting hair extensions but wanted some advice as ive never had them done before and none of my friends have either,
i have used clip-in extensions but i find that i carnt move very well whilst wearing them, i feel really stiff lol and im also getting fed up of the clips peeking out at times,
just wondered if any of you have done hair extensions yourself?
as i can buy the pre bonded remy human hair nail tip strands for £12 and the thing that looks like hair straightners for £40 which glues the extensions to my hair,
and also the glue remover and pliers, this all works out  a lot cheaper them getting it done in the salons,
which is good for me as i dont have that much money lying around for me to spend on my hair lol
i would of course get help with putting them in, my sister has done hairdressing at college for 2 years so she would be able to put them in for me,
it would be better for me this way as i travel a lot in england and in spain, so if they ever came out i can always put them in again and remove them if needed,
id just make sure i always had spare strands of the hair,  which at £12 is really good price, and the remover which is £7.50, so i was wondering if any of you have done this, and did anything bad happen like it damaged your hair for example or did it go fine?
Thanks Carly xx

04 January 2011 17:49
Zoi
Model

Hey

My sister does her own micro ring extensions. The thing to heat the glue isnt required, you just need to use a pair of pliers to tighten the ring. The do ruin your hair a bit however but id say about the same amount as bonded extensions, your cant really wash them all that often so need to use dry shampoo and defimately dont condition your hair where the rings are as it can cause them to slip out. There are lots of demonstrations on you tube on how to do it.

Haylez is off-line
06 January 2011 02:24
haylez
Model
haylez
Shropshire
Shrewsbury

I wouldn't recommend gluing them yourself they needy ensure your hair is treated etc first so it is protected. Or at least the reputable salons by me would!

Also imagine if it goes wrong?

Microrings may be worth a shot? X
"Good things come in small packages!!*

Candy is off-line
06 January 2011 16:02
PrincessCarly
Model
PrincessCarly
County Durham
Stockton

Hiya,
Thanks so much for the advice, im going to do some reaserch into micro ring extensions, they do sell them very close to me so ill just research it a bit more and
decide what to do, thanks xx

Amy-Lou is off-line
04 March 2011 12:10
XAmy_LouX
Model
XAmy_LouX
Surrey
Camberley

Hey I had the same problem last year and I really wanted long hair.. paid £540 in a salon for the bonded ones and they were amazing (so they should be for that price)! they lasted almost 4 months and after they were removed there was minimal damage, as it depends on how you maintain them.. wash about twice/three times a week and condition.
Im now fully qualified in micro fusion bond and micro ring link extensions, the bonded ones are much more popular and for march im only charging £180 for a full head (which is 200-250 strands). makes your hair really thick. which is the equivalent to what I had done in a salon for three times the price. I do them at home and mobile, so if you are ever considering this or want any more info im happy to help.
Amy x

Amy-Lou is off-line
04 March 2011 12:11
XAmy_LouX
Model
XAmy_LouX
Surrey
Camberley

my bad you're in durham...
if you're ever down south let me know :-D

04 March 2011 12:44
HardcoreRoyalty
Model

do you not want to grow your natural hair long?
My Heads Up, People Would Kill To See Me Fall

Jaymii is off-line
04 March 2011 13:27
Jaymii
Model
Jaymii
Lancashire
Manchester

How many extensions are you getting for £12? I only ask because I recently bought micro-rings of ebay, 200 for £30 and they really were not worth it. The hair was good quality but the strands where too thin and so it looked really stupid when I put them in and I didnt have the room on my head to put any more in, when I researched futher I found that you need at least 0.5g weight per strand for them to be any good any less than that and you can't get enough of them in for them to look good.

I would suggest asking round local salons to see if they have anyone training or going to a local college. If that fails then youtube DIY hair extensions and see what others are doing. But make sure you buy hair from reputable sellers otherwise you will end up spending money for no reason.

Hope you get it sorted x

5 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
2bridgesphotography diphoto Robinsky steveh32 TinDolls