Reminder Secure

Tattoo covering

Photoman is off-lineSilver Member
27 December 2010 19:07
Antz
Photographer

Lancashire

Hi,

I am in the process of booking a shoot with a model with a tattoo that I am not to bothered about but one of the idea's means that it wouldn't look right in the images, but it is in an awkward place to photoshop out.
I was wondering if anyone could recommend what would be best to use to cover it up.

Cheers

27 December 2010 19:12
Quirkybutcute
Model

Not an MUA but I know some models use Dermablend.
*La la la la la, I can't hear you.*

27 December 2010 19:24
Vasilisa
Model

I've had dermablend used on me, but there's always some shopping afterwards.
www.redvas.com

Ely is off-line
27 December 2010 19:34
Ely
Model
Ely
Lancashire
Blackburn

Where is the tattoo and whats the models skin like? Does she not have a technique for covering them herself? I can tell you how I do mine, but she would need to practise on herself so she has it sorted for the shoot!
Life is like photography - You develop from the negatives!

27 December 2010 19:42
Vasilisa
Model

Quote from Ely
Where is the tattoo and whats the models skin like? Does she not have a technique for covering them herself? I can tell you how I do mine, but she would need to practise on herself so she has it sorted for the shoot!

How do you do yours? And what do you use? I've never been able to cover mine properly (very very pale white skin, black tattoos) - if I cover the ink properly, it just looks like a massive glob of concealer and it doesn't reflect the light in the same way as skin does.
www.redvas.com

27 December 2010 20:21
Zoi
Model

Quote from Vasilisa
How do you do yours? And what do you use? I've never been able to cover mine properly (very very pale white skin, black tattoos) - if I cover the ink properly, it just looks like a massive glob of concealer and it doesn't reflect the light in the same way as skin does.

+1! Im in the process of having mine removed it will take up to 2 years tho

Sian Jeffries-Jones is off-line
28 December 2010 15:31
makeup
Make-up Artist

South Yorkshire

Hi

there are lots different products available to use cream based (Dermablend, Dermacolour, Veil etc.,) or they can be airbrushed as well.

The method of coverage will depend on the colours in the tattoo and this is where knowledge of the colour wheel is essential ie, green covers red, orange covers blue etc.

Any colours have to be neutralised first before skin colour is replaced, normal skin marks (moles, veins etc) will need to be painted back on as well or it looks unnatural and will just look like a big glob of concealer. It is quite a skill to be able to do camouflage well and if its really important to you I suggest you contact a MUA who knows how to do this. Bear in mind as well that a tattoo is generally raised from the surface of the surrounding skin and this difference in texture may still be seen

The products usually contain high concentrations of Titanium Dioxide which is the main source of the white out effect in photography, this can be counteracted with a light dusting of matte bronzer.

To the OP I do know how to camouflage so if you're interested please PM me

Sian
www.artistedemaquillage.com www.locksofdesire.com

Misty is off-line
28 December 2010 15:42
misty_model
Model
misty_model
Merseyside
Wirral

Quote from makeup
Hi there are lots different products available to use cream based (Dermablend, Dermacolour, Veil etc.,) or they can be airbrushed as well. The method of coverage will depend on the colours in the tattoo and this is where knowledge of the colour wheel is essential ie, green covers red, orange covers blue etc. Any colours have to be neutralised first before skin colour is replaced, normal skin marks (moles, veins etc) will need to be painted back on as well or it looks unnatural and will just look like a big glob of concealer. It is quite a skill to be able to do camouflage well and if its really important to you I suggest you contact a MUA who knows how to do this. Bear in mind as well that a tattoo is generally raised from the surface of the surrounding skin and this difference in texture may still be seen The products usually contain high concentrations of Titanium Dioxide which is the main source of the white out effect in photography, this can be counteracted with a light dusting of matte bronzer. To the OP I do know how to camouflage so if you're interested please PM me Sian

Took the words right out of my mouth! OP couldn't have asked for a better explanation! emoticon

UK wide petite, flexible, professional dancer/model working to nude levels

Photoman is off-lineSilver Member
28 December 2010 18:10
Antz
Photographer

Lancashire

Thank you all for the information.

Sian, I will drop you a message tomorrow after I finish work.

Karen Hegarty is off-line
29 December 2010 09:51
simplydivine
Make-up Artist
simplydivine
Cheshire

Ditto it isn't as easy as it seems if you want it done well, or it looks like a big blob of concealer or a big bruise , can look worse covered up if not done by a professional. Most pro MUA's are competant at camouflage. If Sian is unavailable you can contact me.

31 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
jensomerfield Jessica_Knight Lolalola pinklilly rob452
abouncer android_man antonart bristoltalent cliffc Daddylonglense diphoto Don_Dark frankfoto frankpht GSC4X MIB mike0048 nothingventured oro Phiesta1 Photojames43 Platidonio psn RJA_Photography steveh32 Stoker stuh supaglam Whitehorsephotography Wtphotos