Reminder Secure

Working out at home- more advice please.

This thread is being watched by 2 people
27 December 2010 08:11
River
Model

Ok girls (and guys)-

As said in the 'make a wish' thread....one of my new year's resolutions is to become more active. I know I have made a similar post to this in the past but I have since been to have a look at the local gyms, and I've also been looking into other ways of getting fit, and im still a bit puzzled and indecisive. At 5"1, right now I feel very fat and frumpy at my current weight of 112 lbs- yet I have been this weight for the past 3 years.

Basically, i am don't think I am confident enough to go to the gym. The ones in my area are quite expensive and I think my lack of confidence would put me off going very often, and therefore it wouldn't be an efficient use of my money. I am not looking for an intensive work out programme, just a few simple and effective activities I can do at/around home. I would like to know if there are any pieces of equipment which would prove beneficial and are not *too* expensive. E.g weights/rowing machines ect? I am pretty sure I will be going down to the local Tesco's to grab a gym ball as a starter- but what are the best ways to use it?

I have two very large fields out the back of my house. I was thinking of going running- but how far/how long for, and how fast?

Lastly- I would like to hear how other models keep trim without the use of a gym (excluding anything about having a healthy diet- as I have that part of my new getting active programme sorted).

Thanks people x
"I do this because Im having fun. The minute I stop having fun, I'll just walk away"- Heath Ledger

27 December 2010 08:57
Vasilisa
Model

I help my boyfriend run a kickboxing club and run the blog for us - http://northlondonkickboxing.blogspot.com . It's updated weekly with exercise and nutrition stuff that you can do at home (like tabata, which I keep going on about).

I quit my gym last year for a variety of reasons, and basically work out at home/do kickboxing classes and will be getting a pole in the new year to start adding that to my workout list.

As far as equipment goes. a swiss ball (keep it well inflated) and a set of weights (2s and 5s for you I think) would be the best investment to make.
www.redvas.com

27 December 2010 09:26
Nympheae
Model

I always believed that if you want to keep fit and toned, but without gaining unwanted muscles....

(muscles are heavier than fat!!!!) you should not use any sport equipment - only your body. I also realized that stomach is the only part of your body that requires special treatment (unfortunately gym does not offer any stomach traning equipment!) - all other parts you use every day - walking up and down the stairs, washing up, bending, cleaning, vacuuming, and very important streaching in the morning and during the day! - all this can be an exercise if you do it wisely and correctly by holding the pose and using those muscles instead of your bones and spine!

I think the main reason for people going to the gym is the fact that when they're there, they will feel forced to exercise with others, whereas they would not be motivated on their own at home. 
I would recommend swimming pool instead - you won't overwork yourself and it's a great workout for all your body parts! Cycling is also great!

As for working out at home I suggest Pilates, Callanetics and Aerobics or even Zumba! You can find samples of exercises on youtube and you can do it at home.

And one more thing - it all starts in your head - motivation
Sometimes I only have to look at myself naked in the mirror to see that I should stop eating pizza after 10pm emoticon

Hope that helps emoticon

~ Don't argue with idiots, they will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. ~

27 December 2010 09:44
Vasilisa
Model

Nymphae, the first part of your statement is really inaccurate. It takes a LOT for women to gain substantial amounts of muscle - as in, a Vasilisa is a naughty person load of exercise and a very prohibitive diet and usually additional supplements. Using weights is great for toning and gaining strength and won't make you look like a bodybuilder unless you really really want to and put a lot of effort into it.
www.redvas.com

27 December 2010 10:50
canonlad
Photographer

Vasilisa,
I have just read your blog and I think you talk a lot of sense. I am going to try the regime you have laid out, and see how it goes. I will, also, refer to your blog on a regular basis to try new things
I'm glad I stumbled across this thread.

Thank you, and have a Happy New Year,

Barry

27 December 2010 10:57
Foundation
Photographer

gyms are hopeless because they don't allow privacy. its easier to train without being gawped at. same goes for running. best to find a quite wooded area or field and do some cross country instead of running through streets, which is bad for the knees anyway.

27 December 2010 10:59
Nick_Giles
Photographer
This member has been suspended

Walk to Warrington.

By the time you get here you will be as trim as you like and I will shoot you. emoticon

Having said that if you caught a train and stopped on the way for a McDonald's I would still shoot you. emoticon

Nick

" The Almighty in his infinite wisdom did not see fit to create frenchmen in the image of Englishmen." :- Sir Winston Churchill.

Catherine is off-lineSilver Member
27 December 2010 11:09
catherinewilliams
Model
catherinewilliams
West Midlands
Ross-on-wye

Good advice from Vasilisa there.I use weights and don't look like the woman above.

Most of my training is kickboxing but we do a lot of toning exercises such as sit ups ,leg raises ect.

Apart from that I do pilates once a week. This is very good for toning and strenghtening the core.You can
get videos but its really much better to go to a class as so the instructor can make sure you are doig it properly.
Its not intimidating.Most of my class is over 50.

Really the easiest exercise is to get yourself some decent running shoes and go for a run at your pace gradually building up distance.You should also be able to find plans in running /fitness mags.

You can find plenty of exercise routines you can do at home in the fitness magazines. This months Ultrafit magazine is out in the next few days.This is the best and I'm not just saying that as there should be a some picks of me from the modeling competition lol.

Also have a look at the Tv channels if you have digital.Theres body in Balance which has pilates yoga ect and also fitness Tv ,The Ative channel and LA fitness channel.

Heres some simple workouts I was just looking at from the website of my favourite magazine that you can do at home with just dumbells (soup/bean cans) or your own body weight.

First by Bikini champion and boxer Jennifer Lawerence

http://www.fitnessrxmag.com/videos/564-jessicas-dumbbell-super-circuit-workout.html

and also this one with no equipment.

http://www.fitnessrxmag.com/videos/ex-fat-chick/563-full-body-fat-scorching-circuit-workout.html

Good luck. Don't do too much too soon and remember to warm up.
I once spent a weekend in Bath, with ass-kicking mum of 8 Miss Cath. No offence to this mummy, the play-fighting was funny. But now I might need an Osteopath! by Laya Randle-Conde

27 December 2010 11:32
River
Model

Vasilisa- Thankyou very much for your help- I will definatly refer to your blog, it looks very informative

Foundation- I just went for a run out in the field behind my house. It wasnt a good move. The ground is slippy, clay-like soil and there are rabbit holes everywhere...I almost slipped over twice. I then tried the copse the other side of my house, but it is so over-grown I was stopping every 4-5 minutes to make a pathway through the brambles! I might have to stick to the road for now

Nick- Trainline says the shortest journey by train to Warrington is 6 hours. I wonder how long it would take to walk? Let's arrange a shoot for next year- I should be there in time

Catherine- Thankyou....there are billions of pilates groups around here (I think it is because the average age of the people that live in Diss must be about 55?). I've always fancied having a go at pilates since doing work experience with an antenatal pilates group- it looked very relaxing
"I do this because Im having fun. The minute I stop having fun, I'll just walk away"- Heath Ledger

Catherine is off-lineSilver Member
27 December 2010 11:40
catherinewilliams
Model
catherinewilliams
West Midlands
Ross-on-wye

And River if you trained realy hard you could look like my friend Michelle here.

Only if you spent 10 years of heavy lifting , strict diet would you look like the fabulous Pauline Nordin you would never look like the picture above.

Oh don't be fooled  and pilates is hard work. You will discover muscles you didn't know you had.

Well done on the running. Be careful in the ice.
I once spent a weekend in Bath, with ass-kicking mum of 8 Miss Cath. No offence to this mummy, the play-fighting was funny. But now I might need an Osteopath! by Laya Randle-Conde

24 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
AmberBray Dionne_94 Katieann1 sarahlou73
AndyGStudios aprilscherz3 BOBREEVES cliffc eosfan extra_mayo Fashionphotography freddie guitarman gwentman hopps Ladiesman Mattcairns MIB peterh Reynard Steveh32 Steveharratt swalsh58 xsa73