Bridal make up.

Fisherface is off-line
30 November 2010 16:06
Fisherface
Make-up Artist
Fisherface
Suffolk
Lowestoft

I don't do many weddings as it's not really financially viable, but I'm starting to wonder if that's just because I don't charge enough so was wondering how much other MUA's change?

Thanks,

Jes

Angel is off-line
30 November 2010 16:20
Amo_Angelus
Model
Amo_Angelus
Derbyshire
Chesterfield

Not sure if this will help you, but the bridal MUA I'm going with on my wedding day charges £25 for make-up, then her rates get higher for things like manicures, massages and suchwhat. I think she also does the bridal party (bridesmaids) for a similar fee. And she only applies once in the day, so she can fit a fair few appointments (not all bridal) into her day.
Creative, Fun and Vibrant model always on the lookout for work. TFCD/TFP are more than welcome.

Jesfish is off-line
30 November 2010 16:22
jes
Model
jes
Suffolk
Lowestoft

Thanks, that's what I currently charge but am also expected to do a trial run which is quite a lot of work and materials for little in return. 

Angel is off-line
30 November 2010 16:34
Amo_Angelus
Model
Amo_Angelus
Derbyshire
Chesterfield

I'm actually planning my wedding at the moment, so maybe I am a good person to talk to...

The one we're going with does do a free consultation beforehand too...don't know what that means as I'm still planning my bridesmaids dresses and so aren't ready to book that stage yet. But I would actually be willing to pay more than £25 on the day, as would the other brides I talk to. (I am the annoying one that talks not about getting the cheapest but about what to pay and what I expect) and for a good quality MUA who gave me that free first consultation on good faith, I'd be willing to pay around £35 for the base treatment...foundation, eye liner, mascara, blush, light eyeshadow and lipstick. I'd probably only want to pay £25 or less for my bridesmaids though, but for the perfect big day, with a good portfolio of your work I'd be willing to pay more as would a few others. It's just, do you think your portfolio is good enough to get past the cheap ones? I don't know, I'm cooking tea and haven't looked at yours.
Creative, Fun and Vibrant model always on the lookout for work. TFCD/TFP are more than welcome.

Fisherface is off-line
30 November 2010 16:39
Fisherface
Make-up Artist
Fisherface
Suffolk
Lowestoft

So on your consultation, did the MUA do a full make up trial for you, or just discuss your requirements?

Thanks for taking the time to help btw! 

Angel is off-line
30 November 2010 16:44
Amo_Angelus
Model
Amo_Angelus
Derbyshire
Chesterfield

The leaflet hints at a trial, but it's not 100% clear, and I've not had it yet. But I'll be happy to update you when I do have it, but it won't be for a few months yet. Thinking I might scedual the make-up consultation for when my hair trial is.

You're welcome. I had a few friends in College who were training to be MUAs, so I have a vague idea of how hard it can be sometimes. So anyway I can help, I'm happy to.

Claire Shipman is off-line
30 November 2010 17:38
ClaireShipman
Make-up Artist
This member has been reset to pending
ClaireShipman
Nottinghamshire
Nottingham

Oh no, no wonder your not making any money me dear, just half of one of my foundations costs £25! I do about 20-30 weddings a year, here are my rates:

www.bridalblushes.co.uk/pricing

Beauty therapists will charge around £25 but they usually dont have all the travelling to do (as the bride comes to them) and they usually charge extra for a trial unless they need the experience and will add on extra money by doing manicures etc.

Just put bridal make up in google and you will find most people charge between £100-£200 for just the bride. The way I look at it if there willing to pay thier photographer around £1,000 upwards now, thier dress... anything between £200-£3,000, venue £300-£3,000 etc why would they skimp on booking a pro to do their make up well and complete the most important day and in my opinion the only day you want to look your most beautiful.

Fisherface is off-line
30 November 2010 17:57
Fisherface
Make-up Artist
Fisherface
Suffolk
Lowestoft

Thanks Claire!  I agree, people seem to be prepared to pay lots to the photographer and for cake, dress, flowers etc etc so why not make up?!  I've turned lots of people down because I didn't think I could ask too much, but I obviously need to have a rethink, lol!

Claire Shipman is off-line
30 November 2010 18:11
ClaireShipman
Make-up Artist
This member has been reset to pending
ClaireShipman
Nottinghamshire
Nottingham

No problem at all. Its best to research your target area for example I cover about half an hour surrounding me in all directions but further than that I will add travel on top. I have never had anyone say 'im not paying that' yes they do often ask for discounts but this usually results in them booking a larger party of people so it works in my favour. Find out what other girls in your area charge and mirror them and work with them, dont see it as competition as when they cant do a wedding they will pass it onto you hoping you will pass one back, this gets you extra work without really trying.

Be prepared for some hard work, weddings are worth every penny as a lot of brides turn evil on thier wedding day for a little while with the stress lol and if your able to calm things your usually the life saver and they dont care how much you cost as, at the time you where well worth every penny.

Jesfish is off-line
30 November 2010 18:20
jes
Model
jes
Suffolk
Lowestoft

Yes, with the weddings I've done, there have been some manic moments with brides-to-be and their mothers wanting to kill each other! 

You've been a great help, thanks for taking the time!

25 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
AmberBray fashion29 Miguel Winterlilly
bengie clarmike GerryS2 gshocker30 keltica Kjoservices Ladiesman MIB mlp Pat9669A philippahh Photo_phil poah Rhadamanthus ricciarelli Richard99 smooth_image steveh32 Stuh Willy_O xsa73