ClaireShipman
Make-up Artist
This member has been reset to pending
ClaireShipman
Nottinghamshire
Nottingham

Hello Everyone,

A little help required please...

Up until recently I have quoted my rates per 4 and 6 hours, I have been asked if I charge per hour a few times now and I'm not sure whether to or not, so my question is how do you other Mua's do it? I don't want to know what your charge just how you go about quoting your rates.

Thanks

Claire

Karen Quinn is off-line
19 October 2007 06:40
face_forward
Make-up Artist
face_forward
Merseyside

Hi Love
 I always quote per half day or full day. half day usually being 4 hours, full day 8. Tv work can be up to 12 hours but they tend to pay a basic day rate no matter how long I am required. Never undersell your self would be my advice even if someone says they only want you for an hour that hour you are working for them could mean turning down a full day/half days rate. And take into account travelling time. Just explain this when taking on a job I am sure that most photographers would just pay you your half day even if it is just that they require you for the hour. You should really be at the job until the tog and model have finished shooting.

Hope this helps
Karen x

Claire Shipman is off-line
19 October 2007 06:54
ClaireShipman
Make-up Artist
ClaireShipman
Nottinghamshire
Nottingham

Quote from face_forward
Hi Love
 I always quote per half day or full day. half day usually being 4 hours, full day 8. Tv work can be up to 12 hours but they tend to pay a basic day rate no matter how long I am required. Never undersell your self would be my advice even if someone says they only want you for an hour that hour you are working for them could mean turning down a full day/half days rate. And take into account travelling time. Just explain this when taking on a job I am sure that most photographers would just pay you your half day even if it is just that they require you for the hour. You should really be at the job until the tog and model have finished shooting.

Hope this helps
Karen x

Thanks Karen, thats a big help.

I get asked that often, that I began to think thats how most MUA's must go about qouting thier rates!

Its not really cost effective as you say qouting per hour as there is usually quite a bit of travelling involved and it has to be worth your while. I mainly do photoshoots at the moment so I have yet to enter the wold of Tv.

Best Wishes

Claire happy2

Karen Quinn is off-line
19 October 2007 07:04
face_forward
Make-up Artist
face_forward
Merseyside

No problem hun
  Another thing that I don't really like about them only wanting you there for the hour (to do the initial make-up) is that what happens once your gone. The model could completely change the make-up and then when you see the finished result and your name is down as the make-up artist and you think WTF I didn't do that. It has happened trust me sign10
Karen x

19 October 2007 07:09
ClaireShipman
Make-up Artist
ClaireShipman
Nottinghamshire
Nottingham

Quote from face_forward
No problem hun
  Another thing that I don't really like about them only wanting you there for the hour (to do the initial make-up) is that what happens once your gone. The model could completely change the make-up and then when you see the finished result and your name is down as the make-up artist and you think WTF I didn't do that. It has happened trust me sign10
Karen x

hmmm yes it happened the other day, the model asked why I'd not used the images of her for my portfolio and it was because I didn't do the make-up as she changed it, whilst I was working on the other 2 models! sometimes you need eyes in the back of your head! Too be honest it looked dreadful, I didn't want my name anywhere near it! but what can you do? when its done its done! 

Claire x

19 October 2007 11:48
MMM_WOW
Make-up Artist

hi
I as a bodypainter have to charge a day rate as well cos there is no way I can do a tidy job in a half day so I allways quote for a full day.
you will find that you cant in all reallity in wich ever branch of make-up charge by the hour as  the over runs and goodness knows what else allways crop up and they start 'but you quoted for an hour'even if you have been there 2 or three so do the quote for half day and explain like you have on here!! you are going to be there for the whole shoot and if they want some -one just to slap something on them at the beging of the shoot to run to boots one of the girls on the make-up counter can do it

john

Karen Quinn is off-line
19 October 2007 12:23
face_forward
Make-up Artist
face_forward
Merseyside

Quote from MMM_WOW
hi
I as a bodypainter have to charge a day rate as well cos there is no way I can do a tidy job in a half day so I allways quote for a full day.
you will find that you cant in all reallity in wich ever branch of make-up charge by the hour as  the over runs and goodness knows what else allways crop up and they start 'but you quoted for an hour'even if you have been there 2 or three so do the quote for half day and explain like you have on here!! you are going to be there for the whole shoot and if they want some -one just to slap something on them at the beging of the shoot to run to boots one of the girls on the make-up counter can do it

john

happy7Loving the boots counter quote John

Karen

19 October 2007 17:12
ClaireShipman
Make-up Artist
ClaireShipman
Nottinghamshire
Nottingham

Quote from MMM_WOW
hi

john

Thanks John. Its understandable you charge per day, full body painting must take ages!

Claire happy6

EmilyJane Williams is off-line
31 October 2007 12:36
make_up_artists
Make-up Artist
make_up_artists
London
Midlands & London

Hello Fellow make-upies!

I agree with the half day or full day!!.... Most make-up artists i have spoken to about this do the same. some photographers can be so pickie, and only want you for a certain number of hours to make the price lower.... but at the end of the day i think us guys are very important to a shoot, we bring the model to life and add quality to the photographs...YEY US!!!...

also.... has anybody else heard about this 'photoshop make-up' malarkie??? aparently photographers are adding all of the make-up on after the shoot with the newist photoshop!!!!

tongue3
xxx
Warm regards, EmilyJane www.ejma.co.uk

03 November 2007 04:46
ClaireShipman
Make-up Artist
ClaireShipman
Nottinghamshire
Nottingham

Quote from make_up_artists
Hello Fellow make-upies!

I agree with the half day or full day!!.... Most make-up artists i have spoken to about this do the same. some photographers can be so pickie, and only want you for a certain number of hours to make the price lower.... but at the end of the day i think us guys are very important to a shoot, we bring the model to life and add quality to the photographs...YEY US!!!...

also.... has anybody else heard about this 'photoshop make-up' malarkie??? aparently photographers are adding all of the make-up on after the shoot with the newist photoshop!!!!

tongue3
xxx

Make up in Photoshop, well I bet that looks nice!!! (Not)happy8

2 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
mikehemmings Steveh32