Reminder Secure

Energy foods

This thread is being watched by 1 person
24 November 2010 21:03
jessicard
Model

I usually take iron/vitamin tablets anyway - when I remember! - but recently I find myself more tired than I should be or lacking slightly during the day and I'd hate to feel I wasn't giving my all on a shoot! 

Any ideas on suitable snacks or even "energy" foods I could incorporate into main meals?

Thanking you.
http://jayerose.tumblr.com/

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
25 November 2010 03:23
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Almonds are what motorbiking magazines recommend for touring long distances, they recommend eating two or three every hour or so just to keep energy levels up (small amounts but often is the key IIRC)

I personally find cans of Relentless pretty good for waking me up for a couple of hours but the amount of sugar tends to send me a bit hyper as well , I usually take one just before driving if I've been shooting all day and still have a long drive home as I've a tendancy to doze off at the wheel due to exhaustion.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

25 November 2010 04:10
leighmoore
Photographer

If you're after a quick fix if you feel like you're flagging, nuts as has been suggested fig rolls, chocolate and Jelly Babies are good but their effect is very short and you will crash again.

If you're wanting to fuel for exercise or a modeling job then you need carbs. Carbs are what your body converts to fuel (glycogen) and what it burns when you exercise... or model.

However, you need "good" complex carbs which release slowly and fuel you for longer. Avoid white bread, its processed and all the good carbs are gone, wholemeal bread is the #1 choice, but be careful, there's still around 100 calories per slice.

When you're looking at the labels in the supermarket, ignore stuff where the "Carbohydrates" and "of which are sugars" numbers are similar. This suggests the carbs are "simple" and will be broken down by your body faster than they can be absorbed, prompting insulin release and fat storage. You want the "of which are sugars" number to be at least half, ideally a third or less of the total "Carbohydrates" number.

If I'm mountain biking, I'll load up on carbs the day before, so for my lunch and dinner I'll make sure I get "good" carbs, normally in the form of pasta. If when I'm out on a ride I need a boost, I use a carb gel like these, you can get them online, but my local Tesco sells them too. They're a concentrated hit of "good" carbs and have rescued me many times when I've "bonked" (ran out of glycogen). "Bonking" isn't nearly as much fun as it sounds, its when your body burns only fat, which you might think is a good thing, but it makes you feel absolutely rotten.

I shot 2 models on Sunday, 1 had a good lunch, the other didn't. By mid afternoon, the one who didn't had lost it. All her images were useless as she was tired and drained. The girl who'd eaten was fine.

"OH YEAH!! Well Smurfs are blue and as a result look constantly chilly!" - AliceCat.

25 November 2010 08:43
jessicard
Model

Thanks both - will definitely look into these. Crashing is the worst thing ever!
http://jayerose.tumblr.com/

Tathiel is off-line
25 November 2010 10:37
Tathiel
Model
Tathiel
Bristol
Bristol

Try Goji Berries - there not to everyones taste but I find them very good for giving you a bit of an energy kick.. I think there classed as a superfood and I buy them in dried form and you can get them from asda (usually the fresh fruit/veg section). I love them!

Try increasing your protien intake aswell. Lots of good quality protien, small amounts of complex carbs and plenty of fruit and veg in your daily diet will help

Kaz B is off-line
09 December 2010 22:16
KazBxx
Model
KazBxx
Hertfordshire
Watford

Seed mix - pumpkin, sunflower, hemp and so on!
www.KazB.co.uk www.twitter.com/kazbxx

Amanda Floyd is off-line
21 December 2010 08:58
lil_tinks
Model
This member has been reset to pending

Cheshire
northwich

Thanks everyone for your info on here - i have been out and bought goji berries (which i have demolished already!!) and a lovely chilli seed mix.

I am a terrible eater after battling an eating disorder from the age of 7-25. I very rarely get hungry now and some days don't eat enough to keep a rat alive.

I spend most of my time drinking Relentless because i've crashed, which is certainly not good for me so i'm definately going to make a conscious effort now to keep nibbling on the nuts, seeds and berries.

Thanks again everyone,
Amanda xx

34 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
alishaa Danielamoreno1975 danixhale Dolphin Lushlolly Pinklilly tanyacox
abouncer azurphotos barrysmiles Blancho david1500 diphoto Essexjohn fannmore FlyingShot GlasgowPhotographer Gregory_Mason Hioctane ism1967 James7799 just_lez Kjoservices KrissB Ladiesman liteangle orca_photography parlour_photo philippahh shadowtime74 Skystudio tonyk1
Bawdenj
harbourstudio