Reminder Secure

Hula Hooping and Skipping

This thread is being watched by 1 person
17 November 2010 12:01
River
Model

Im not really one to exercise hard, I dont have very good knees, so I usually go swimming. But Ive been told hula-hooping is good for toning your stomach? Presumably would I have to buy a proper exercise hoop, or would a normal hula hoop do? Also, Ive always been a fan of skipping ropes. Could anyone tell me if there is a particular area of the body that skipping benefits most? Legs/arms??
Also, does anyone use either of these modes of exercise regularly, and do they actually make a difference?
"I do this because Im having fun. The minute I stop having fun, I'll just walk away"- Heath Ledger

17 November 2010 12:18
leighmoore
Photographer

I'd say the major exercise with either of those is going to be cardio. You'll tone your stomach with the hoop and arms and legs to some extent withe skipping but I don't see it being a drastic benefit.

For stomach toning, I'd recommend a gym ball, you can pick them up in tesco for a few quid, but they work every conceivable muscle group, with zero impact.

You can even do it whilst watching TV.
"OH YEAH!! Well Smurfs are blue and as a result look constantly chilly!" - AliceCat.

Glasgow Photographer is off-line
17 November 2010 12:25
GlasgowPhotographer
Photographer
GlasgowPhotographer
Strathclyde
Glasgow

Skipping is a great excersie it works on all of the body as all of the body is in motion. That's why boxers love it so much. Head to toe excercising.
Regards, George http://www.monapics.com/html/blog.html

17 November 2010 12:33
FelicityFatale
Photographer

You can't "spot tone" your stomach. You have to lose weight all over.

Do a good all round workout, cut the calories and you'll be onto a win.
The first paradox of artistic photography: a near anonymous international style in the hands of prickly self-conscious individuals.

17 November 2010 12:39
River
Model

Quote from FelicityFatale
You can't "spot tone" your stomach. You have to lose weight all over. Do a good all round workout, cut the calories and you'll be onto a win.

Im not looking to loose weight, just tone up. I was told hula hooping tones your stomach...is it not possible to tone one area of your body? Wouldn't sit-ups only tone your stomach?

"I do this because Im having fun. The minute I stop having fun, I'll just walk away"- Heath Ledger

17 November 2010 12:41
River
Model

Quote from leighmoore
I'd say the major exercise with either of those is going to be cardio. You'll tone your stomach with the hoop and arms and legs to some extent withe skipping but I don't see it being a drastic benefit. For stomach toning, I'd recommend a gym ball, you can pick them up in tesco for a few quid, but they work every conceivable muscle group, with zero impact. You can even do it whilst watching TV.

Thanks, I was thinking of getting a gym ball, but I have no idea how to use it!?

17 November 2010 12:41
leighmoore
Photographer

Quote from GlasgowPhotographer
Skipping is a great excersie it works on all of the body as all of the body is in motion. That's why boxers love it so much. Head to toe excercising.

Interesting... £60 a month gym membership or a skipping rope. emoticon
"OH YEAH!! Well Smurfs are blue and as a result look constantly chilly!" - AliceCat.

17 November 2010 12:42
leighmoore
Photographer

Quote from River
Thanks, I was thinking of getting a gym ball, but I have no idea how to use it!?

Mine came with a poster of 20 or so exercises, but if you google you'll find hundreds.

Ninabean is off-line
17 November 2010 12:46
Ninabean
Model
Ninabean
Nottinghamshire
Nottinghamshire/ Leicestershire/ Derbyshire/ South Yorkshire

Quote from River
Im not looking to loose weight, just tone up. I was told hula hooping tones your stomach...is it not possible to tone one area of your body? Wouldn't sit-ups only tone your stomach?

You can 'spot tone' but you cant lose weight on one particular area of your body (i think this is what Felicity meant).

Hula Hooping is good for your stomach and waistline- and since you can hula hoop on a WII Fit without any sort of hoop (just doing the motion), i wouldnt have thought you would have to invest in an exercise hoop- is there such a thing??
I do like a bit of vinegar

17 November 2010 12:51
FelicityFatale
Photographer

Quote from River

No, you cannot "tone" one area of your body.  What women widely believe is toning is actually a combination of losing fat and building muscle.  You cannot spot lose fat.  To "tone" your stomach and see your six pack, you first need to get your body-fat down to about 15% - that in itself requires a serious amount of dedication and hard work EVERY DAY.  Then at the same time you need to be slowly building your abdominal muscles.

Contrary to popular belief, things like sit-ups and hula hooping are not the best way to build your abdominals.  Hula hooping will give you a great core structure and strengthen your back (if you don't overdo it) but too many sit ups will just give you a bad back.  The best way to build your abdominal muscles is by using power lifting moves.  A squat using heavy weights (I use about 80kgs - nearly twice my weight) will put tension DOWN through the body and DOWN through the abdominals.  These muscles need tension put through them to grow effectively.  At the bodybuilder/powerlifting gym that I train at sometimes (and where I studied for my personal training qualification) it is widely regarded that dead lifts are the best way to get a great looking stomach area.  Old Arnie of Terminator fame agrees.

However these moves should not be attempted alone.  You need professional supervision in order to get it right and avoid damaging your body.

It's the same with gym balls too - you should do a term of classes at your local leisure centre on them first to learn effective ways to use them.  They are mostly used for rehabilitation on their own.  If you want to use them to "tone" up then you need to buy a decent set of dumbbells to use with them - but only after you've been taught how to do it.

Losing weight and building muscle isn't rocket science, but nor is it easy - otherwise we'd all have amazing bodies and be models.  It takes hard work and dedication, and I suggest that skipping and gym ball-ing at home is not really going to get you very far in the long run.  Training at home may work for some people, but usually they have had some prior training first and posses seemingly infinite amounts of motivation and enthusiasm.
The first paradox of artistic photography: a near anonymous international style in the hands of prickly self-conscious individuals.

31 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
amber6 AmberBray Cody Jessicaliu1993 Pinklilly
abouncer antoinewynn davejarvis Don_Dark ellessephotography George99 guitarman gwentman jefflynne JohnDentonPhoto Kjoservices modelboutique Morgan_L paulq peteb poah psn riddell Rule_of_Thumb siclews soulc steveh32 Steveharratt Thunder_Photos TonyNutley xposed