Full Covering Bodypaint

Peter Lord is off-line
07 October 2010 08:14
PSL
Photographer
PSL
Lancashire
Heywood

Was thinking of doing a Rhianna (umbrella vid) type shoot with full bodypaint (silver or gold) done some bodypainting shoots previously but never completely covered.
Anyone got some experience of this? advice? suggestions? problems encountered? general stuff to watch out for?
Thanks
Peter.

Mark Silvester is off-lineGold Member
07 October 2010 08:21
marksilvester
Photographer
marksilvester
Dorset
Gillingham

The paint can take an age to paint and then dry and its easy for the model to rub it off patches especially as it drys.

Victoria Howard is off-line
07 October 2010 12:26
Victoria_Howard
Make-up Artist
Victoria_Howard
Hungary
Budapest

Marksilver

No it doesn't! If you just painting someone gold or silver it takes 40 minutes, drys within a few minutes. Is quite durable if applied correctly, the trick is too apply the correct type for the environment ect.

Malc is off-lineSilver Member
07 October 2010 15:58
cziiki
Photographer
cziiki
London
London

Major thing as far as I am concerned is getting the lighting right for gold - it is a shiny surface so lots of light, with lots of reflection, no fancy sillhouetty backlit or 'art nude single light' - it very easily comes out muddy. Big reflectors or softboxes or even big beauty dish and get loads of highlights so it really looks like gold.

I used to have a trick which makes a very short lived but lovely glossy look - apply oil generously (following recent threads, one is advised to get the model and her mum to do this in order to keep your reputation lol!) followed by sprinkling on gold Rowney school powder paint - as it soaks into the oil it becomes a very glistening golden liquid sheen. I haven't done this for a decade and I do remember it takes a little practice to get right!

07 October 2010 16:09
sjarcher
Photographer

Best to go for Gold as silver tends to look/can look very Black and White!! hard to explain but we have had a few shoots like that. You need separate paint for the Body, Hair and Around the eyes.

It takes about 30-40 mins to paint.
Mix it all in one batch, and use a very soft brush to stop patches. as Cziiki has said the lighting is important - using oil will give it a gloss but it wont set so well.

Always test a small area first, in case of allergic reaction, very rare.

We love working with the gold / silver/ Bronze

Karen Hegarty is off-line
08 October 2010 05:21
simplydivine
Make-up Artist
simplydivine
Cheshire

Hi Peter
This thread might help.http://www.purestorm.com/forum/readThread.aspx?id=163812&start=3
I have experience in full coverage of metallic paints. If you want anymore advise feel free to pm me, or if you wish to book me to do the job lol

BodyPaintingbyCat.com is off-line
11 November 2010 09:39
Catscreations
Make-up Artist
Catscreations
Norfolk

Graftobian or Mehron,,,doesn't rub off if mixed correctly, stays well, easy to get off, dries instantly. Very the mix and use the correct mixers instead of baby oil and you can vary the shine...

Cat
cats-creations.co.uk Professional Face & Body art, UK & Hong Kong

31 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
ElleLaura heather94 Kayleigh94 Littlemiss01 lynnesel Michelledefeo1
Blancho cliffc Creativedge digitizer djb1 eosfan freddie Ianmcculloch ImageStyle kinofist LGI markeos50d MIB mike0048 mrdl nige_nw panda49 Photogenic2 redbaron Robinsky Snooper911 stevegosh Steveh32 supaglam Willy_O