mua cost?

This thread is being watched by 2 people
Jo is off-line
07 September 2010 14:08
joniwarr
Model

West Midlands
Birmingham

Im new to modelling and havent used a make up artist before. Can anyone give me an idea of how to go about it and maybe some idea of the cost?

Lisa Taylor is off-line
07 September 2010 14:35
lisataylor_mua
Make-up Artist
lisataylor_mua
London
Hornchurch

There are quite a few threads on this, but just as a rough guideline expect to pay £100+ for a half day, £200+ for a full day. The vast majority of artists will not book by the hour.....it just isn't worth it.

07 September 2010 14:53
j_forbes
Photographer
This member has been suspended
This member has been reset to pending

You can get them a lot cheaper then that price.

Iestyn Hooper is off-line
07 September 2010 15:11
iestyn
Photographer

Suffolk
Stowmarket

Message some local make up artists who`s work you like, ask them direct about their fees.

Karen Hegarty is off-line
07 September 2010 16:16
simplydivine
Make-up Artist
simplydivine
Cheshire

Quote from j_forbes
You can get them a lot cheaper then that price.

But most professional artists will not charge less than that.

It is a fair guide, but I would suggest you search for an artist whose work you like and contact them directly and ask them to quote you for a particular assignment, and what you will get for your money.
If you want any further advise then please feel free to contact me, I will be happy to answer any questions you may have.
regards Karen

Jimbo is off-line
11 October 2010 12:46
jimbojetset
Photographer
jimbojetset
London
Uxbridge

Quote from lisataylor_mua
There are quite a few threads on this, but just as a rough guideline expect to pay £100+ for a half day, £200+ for a full day. The vast majority of artists will not book by the hour.....it just isn't worth it.

Food for thought, i think, models and photographers should also go on a half day rate minimum?

James

Karen Hegarty is off-line
12 October 2010 04:03
simplydivine
Make-up Artist
simplydivine
Cheshire

I would have thought all models and photographers charge by half or full days? I have never known a shoot to take any less than about 4 hours which is a half day isn't it?  And whilst most models quote an hourly rate I have never known any to be booked for just an hour.
The point was being made that most MUA's will not charge an hourly rate, because by the time they have travelled, done the make up and possibly hair ( which would take around an hour and half to 2 hours depending on requirements) then travelled home to be paid an hour and half pay with no travel costs, or kit costs it would not be worth it, where as half a day's pay at least would be. 
However some MUA's will quote for less than half a day on local jobs. Really the best thing is to contact an MUA directly to see what they are willing to do, as every one is different and if they are not busy with bigger jobs they may accept smaller jobs.
The rates quoted were a rough guide line for the OP some MUA's charge more some a little less, but in all cases one has to decide on whether the MUA is worth the money. Some are cheaper because they are newly qualified and need to gain experience.
Hope this helps
Karen

Victoria Howard is off-line
12 October 2010 08:56
Victoria_Howard
Make-up Artist
Victoria_Howard
Hungary
Budapest

Quote from simplydivine
But most professional artists will not charge less than that.

It is a fair guide, but I would suggest you search for an artist whose work you like and contact them directly and ask them to quote you for a particular assignment, and what you will get for your money.
If you want any further advise then please feel free to contact me, I will be happy to answer any questions you may have.
regards Karen

+1

You get what you pay for with a MUA.  try asking models in your area for recommendations.

Of course you can always try to negotiate or let a MUA know if you have a budget you would like to work too.

But 200-350 day rate is the norm, many  will book on a 1/2 day rate, you can have a MUA for just a hour if you want, but you will probably find that there hourly rate is very close to their half day rate, due to the time and cost of traveling, cleaning their kit ect.

12 October 2010 09:00
Zoi
Model

I know my old model agency hired MUAs at £350/day. They would take 20% commission from this however meaning the MUA gets £280 for a full day.

Jo is off-line
14 October 2010 13:21
joniwarr
Model

West Midlands
Birmingham

Thanks guys

31 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
alishaa ladyviper01 Littlemiss01 rob452
andrewk carshaltonkev Curve eosfan frankpht gshocker30 lenspoynter LGI MIB mike0048 mrdl Phoenixpics Robinsky robski rod_m99 rscott360 Sanjay Sp_digital Spiritofwales stevegosh steveh32 TinDolls tonyg vapourtrail viewphotographic Willjamieson
Limelight