tonsils and pain killers and anti-biotics

Jenelle_James is off-line
08 August 2010 14:27
Jenelle_James
Model
Jenelle_James
Lancashire
BURNLEY

i'm all confused, managed to get an appointment today for out of hours surgery, i have tonsilitus which i havent had for about 7 years, anyway i was given penicillin vk and forgot to ask if it was ok to continue taking paracetamol as and when i need it, does anyone here know if its ok?

Ian Coyle is off-lineGold Member
08 August 2010 14:47
Mark_Time
Photographer
Mark_Time
Lothian
Livingston

Penicillin is an Anti-Biotic and Paracetamol is an Analgesic so your fine to combine hem as long as you stick to the prescribed limits
Im not racist. I hate everyone!

Melanie Lynn Robson is off-line
08 August 2010 14:48
melrobson02
Model
melrobson02
Tyne and Wear
Newcastle Upon Tyne

I would guess that it's a big no-no. I'm allergic to penicillin so I take paracetamol instead - therefore I think they're equally potent/effective. Try checking on the net-doctor site or ring NHS direct.

EdT is off-line
14 August 2010 04:35
EdT
Photographer
EdT
Cambridgeshire

Huh?
Penicillin is an antibiotic, that is a chemical which kills bacteria and hence gets rid of the infection.

Paracetamol is an analgesic, it blocks the pain receptors in the brain and so reduces the amount of pain you feel.

Taking paracetamol in the place of penicillin is not going to reduce the infection, just numb the pain that you feel from it.

In answer to the OP, there is absolutely no problem with taking the two together within their prescribed limits.

14 August 2010 04:58
Nick_Giles
Photographer
This member has been suspended

Ask a doctor or a qualified medical person. ............. Not an Internet forum, any Internet forum. Jesus H. emoticon

Nick

" The Almighty in his infinite wisdom did not see fit to create frenchmen in the image of Englishmen." :- Sir Winston Churchill.

EdT is off-line
14 August 2010 11:40
EdT
Photographer
EdT
Cambridgeshire

Quote from Nick_Giles
Ask a doctor or a qualified medical person. ............. Not an Internet forum, any Internet forum. Jesus H. emoticon
Nick

Or try a trusted online resource like NHS Choices

14 August 2010 11:53
JadedRed
Model

Best person to ask is usually a chemist, i always find them to be helpful.

Shouldn't be a problem, i've done it before, until they figured out i was allergic to penicillin.

EDIT - As a tonsilitis veteran i also highly reccomend the numbing throat sprays, again check with a chemist as to what is in them though.

Jenelle_James is off-line
14 August 2010 11:57
Jenelle_James
Model
Jenelle_James
Lancashire
BURNLEY

sorry guys but i posted this at a time where no chemist was open so nobody to ask, since so much rubbish gets posted on the forums i didnt see why it would be a problem me posting this,

all better now tho i just took the damn stuff in the end lol

Kim Holland is off-line
10 September 2010 14:34
xxKimagexx
Model
xxKimagexx
Essex
Harlow

Quote from melrobson02
I would guess that it's a big no-no. I'm allergic to penicillin so I take paracetamol instead - therefore I think they're equally potent/effective. Try checking on the net-doctor site or ring NHS direct.

I'm allergic to penicillin too so the drs used to prescribe me Erythromycin (I say used to because I had my tonsils whipped out last year )

It's NEVER about not taking antibiotics, you have to be careful because if you take them too regularly, your body becomes immune to them and won't work!
When you are in love, you don't want to fall asleep because reality is better than your dreams

EdT is off-line
21 September 2010 08:17
EdT
Photographer
EdT
Cambridgeshire

Quote from xxKimagexx
It's NEVER about not taking antibiotics, you have to be careful because if you take them too regularly, your body becomes immune to them and won't work!

Not quite. Your body doesn't become immune to antibiotics, it is the bacteria which the antibiotic is supposed to kill which develops a resistance to the antibiotic. So even other people over-using antibiotics is a problem, because the bacteria that they pass on to you has become resistant (e.g. MRSA).

4 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Jessicaliu1993
clarmike jonnywoo
Charlottealom