Reminder Secure

How to become a MUA

This thread is being watched by 1 person
14 June 2010 12:21


I have read a few threads on here but I am still unsure, so  I am after some advice, please. 

Firstly, I will of finished college as from the end of  June, and I want to do a MUA course. I have looked into, and most seem to be in London, I don't really want to have to travel/live there until I have done the course. Although I have looked into local ones, there really isn't that much that I can find in the Midlands. 

From it you get the following qualifications : 

Qualification 1: Beauty Make-Up professional Diploma Beauty Make-Up Diploma entitling you to use the letters "SAC Dip" after your name.

Qualification 2: NCFE Level 3 Beauty Make-up Professional AwardThis Course leads to an NCFE Level 3 Award Certificate for successful learners. That means that it is independently accredited at a level of learning equivalent to level 3 on the National Qualifications Framework (NQF) for England, Wales and Northern Ireland. You can read more about NCFE and our awarding bodies here: Awards

Can anyone give me advice if these are recognised qualifications for being an MUA?? 

Would a home course be a suitable way of learning ? I am very capable of doing loads of different styles of make up, to what I think is already a good standard. - My make up on my profile is all done by myself. 

Any advice would be greatly received.  

Thanks in advance xxx

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring." — Marilyn Monroe

Honey Rox is off-lineSilver Member
30 August 2010 13:24
United Kingdom

Hey this sounds like a great course and I am also trying to find an MUA course, any advice would be great please Thank you xx

Victoria Howard is off-line
31 August 2010 05:28
Make-up Artist

Applephoto is off-linePlatinum Member
31 August 2010 05:54
United Kingdom
London and Lincoln

Keep in mind that any qualification you achieve should be acceptable for insurance purposes if you are thinking of freelancing.

Photography training | workshops | one 2 one

31 August 2010 07:41

Just as an aside, as important to becoming an MUA as the creative and educational side is the business side: * Do I need to offer hair too? * How much is insurance? * How much is kit? * What kind of work will I do and what kind of work CAN I do (lots of fashion in London, but less elsewhere, for example)? * How much do I need to earn from it and what rates should I charge> * How will I develop a portfolio? * How will I get enough clients? etc... Just thought I'd mention all of this in the hope it's useful Good luck

18 October 2010 09:47


I have just returned from an exhbition in Manchester with my wife who wants to do a similar MUA course as you discribe.  We have found a place in Stcokport that does recognised/certifcated courses...check out their website as see if it's any good for you.

Seems like a very professional setup have a look..

Sammy A is off-line
29 October 2010 16:47
Make-up Artist

United Kingdom

You can do make-up courses at lots of colleges, they usually last one - two years and the qualifications will be recognised . You'll be able to find lots of work experience while your doing the course to

Some places offer short courses (6 weeks - 12 weeks I think) but these can end up costing loads of money.

hope this helps xx

23 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
MissCaraJane RoxyMendez
AaronKent bengie csk_photography D_H_P dby47 dorrian ElegantCaptures iestyn Ladiesman lazeeboy marty55uk oro panda49 penfold10 psn redtail Spiritofwales stevegosh thestarglider VB_Photo zelica333