Reminder Secure

Teeth whitening fail!

This thread is being watched by 1 person
09 June 2010 04:38
AndromedaX
Model

I have always had what you might describe as 'British teeth'.  They're fairly straight, but have a gap at the front etc etc... however, they have also always been rather yellow, which bothers me.  I don't smoke (never have), don't drink red wine or much coffee, and have always taken very good care of my teeth, but they are still not great and I have even had one photographer tell me I 'should stop smoking' because of it, which cheesed me right off!

So anyway... I recently tried a whitening kit from the chemist (Rapid White) which you use twice a day for 2 weeks.  Despite smelling strongly of peroxide, this had absolutely NO effect on the colour of my teeth.  I then tried a stronger one bought from Ebay - again no difference.  I don't want to keep putting bleach on my teeth as no doubt it will damage them!  I also can't afford laser whitening or veneers...

Can anyone recommend a product which really works well? Or am I just doomed to always have yucky yellow teeth?

emoticon
***RETIREDed***

09 June 2010 04:57
Tidal_Kitten
Model

Don't use any of that crap. You realise your water will have a LOT to do with the colour of your teeth. I had (still have a few) flouride marks from the water i drank as a kid in Kenya. The water here is better but only just!

Anyway, if you want whitening that works, you're gonna have to book yourself into the dentist for a teeth whitening appointment.

I had this done when i had a lot of work done to my mouth as a youngen and it was done by my step-sister so i can't really help you with where to go here but i'd imagine the NHS is a start to find dentists then to talk to them and find out pricing etc. As it's cosmetic i doubt it could be gotten for free?
More than just Kibbles and Bits

09 June 2010 05:04
AndromedaX
Model

Quote from Tidal_Kitten
Don't use any of that crap. You realise your water will have a LOT to do with the colour of your teeth. I had (still have a few) flouride marks from the water i drank as a kid in Kenya. The water here is better but only just! Anyway, if you want whitening that works, you're gonna have to book yourself into the dentist for a teeth whitening appointment. I had this done when i had a lot of work done to my mouth as a youngen and it was done by my step-sister so i can't really help you with where to go here but i'd imagine the NHS is a start to find dentists then to talk to them and find out pricing etc. As it's cosmetic i doubt it could be gotten for free?

Unfortunately I just can't afford any cosmetic dentistry  emoticon 

The water around here is pretty bad though too...
***RETIREDed***

09 June 2010 05:16
Tidal_Kitten
Model

Do you use whitening toothpaste?? I used to religiously use Crest whitening but it's from the states so used to buy in bulk in the past. I found Blanx seems to work quite well over time too!

As for the water, do you use a water filter? like the Brita water filters out there and such? Bottled water is a farce (really it is). I don't know it's an option but maybe having a water filter installed for the kitchen tap might help with the water?

Also...do you drink tea or coffee in copious amounts?
More than just Kibbles and Bits

Garth is off-line
09 June 2010 05:20
garth01
Photographer
garth01
Cheshire
chester

I work as a dental technician and I'm afraid the only safe way is to go to a dentist as the type of bleach used can vary. If you shop around you can find dentists who will offer whitening courses for a reasonable cost but as with any bleaching the effects won't last and you will need to have top up sessions every few months, this can be done at home but you still need to buy the refills needed
www.garethhickey.co.uk

09 June 2010 05:29
AndromedaX
Model

Quote from Tidal_Kitten
Do you use whitening toothpaste?? I used to religiously use Crest whitening but it's from the states so used to buy in bulk in the past. I found Blanx seems to work quite well over time too!

As for the water, do you use a water filter? like the Brita water filters out there and such? Bottled water is a farce (really it is). I don't know it's an option but maybe having a water filter installed for the kitchen tap might help with the water?

Also...do you drink tea or coffee in copious amounts?

I do use a whitening toothpaste (always), and we use a water filter...  I only have about 1 cup of (white) coffee a day (never drink tea)...
***RETIREDed***

Catherine is off-lineSilver Member
09 June 2010 05:35
catherinewilliams
Model
catherinewilliams
West Midlands
Ross-on-wye

They advertise whitening at my dentist for £250 I think.I suppose that can only remove staining.Some peoples teeth are just more yellow unless you had veneers. Some of my kids second teeth have just grown through more yellow and they don't have tea coffee wine or smoke! have a water filter built into the fridge.
I use pearl drops that helps a bit.
I once spent a weekend in Bath, with ass-kicking mum of 8 Miss Cath. No offence to this mummy, the play-fighting was funny. But now I might need an Osteopath! by Laya Randle-Conde

Lexi Star is off-line
09 June 2010 10:36
LexiStar
Model
LexiStar
Essex
Suffolk

i use pearl drops at night and then sensodyne pronamel in the mornings because the pearl drops makes my teeth and gums quite sensitive.. i dont smoke, i do drink wine and tea though (obviously not at the same time!) and my teeth dont seem to be yellow, well nobody has told me they are anyway! xx

Fizzy is off-line
09 June 2010 18:01
fizzy
Model
fizzy
Tyne and Wear
Newcastle upon Tyne

I found Arm and Hammer enamel strengthening toothpaste quite good although it tastes a bit funny. It won't make them as white as a tooth whitening procedure but it brightens them a little.
Art nude model - £35ph

GCImages is off-line
09 June 2010 18:18
GSC4X
Photographer
GSC4X
Gloucestershire
Gloucester

When I spent four months with our American cousins I was amazed at the whiteness of their teeth......

After 3 months of using Arm and Hammer (with peroxide) a little every other day and I too had some pearly whites after a month or so which for me (tea, coffee, smoking and red wine) was a first ever.  When I returned my family thought I was wearning dentures.......

It's about £4.50 for a standard tube off the internet (including P&P) and used regularly will give amazing whitening results.  To balance that, no idea what the long term effects are (apart from white teeth with continued use).  That said, I am still alive, some might say just!

The stuff tastes awful, does nothing to freshen breath but the results are amazing without spending £000 of pounds. 

Not sure I want to be promoting peroxide, but if it worked on me, it can work on anyone.

Oh, and teeth are supposed to have a yellowish tint.......

15 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Asian_amy_Latina Cherylsamuel mandymack
duncanjames fannmore glamshots Happysnappyj hioctane James7799 Kjoservices M4150S photomart rscott360 Steveh32 thelook