What's a reasonable rate of pay

This thread is being watched by 1 person
Marcus Van Lyden is off-line
09 May 2010 05:46
mvl
Photographer

Essex
Dagenham

I always use make up artists and some are good others not so good, but thats how it goes. I use one regularly but when she is unavailable I cast for a MUA I get prices ranging from £75 to £400 per day. I know there is not a fixed rate of pay and experience etc are a factor.
I always pay travel expenses and make up costs on top of the day rate as I know these two items can seriously eat into the days wages. But there doesn't seem to be ay sort of logic to the quoted prices.
The type of work I mainly do is portrait and fashion, so I am not asking for super high vogue Make up artistry. I believe everyone should be paid for a job and not minimum wage (which says I would pay you less if I could get away with it).
What is a reasonable days pay for a 7 hour day? I don't want to rob or abuse newer MUAs but nor do I want to be taken advantage of either. ball park figures for newr MUAs and experienced MUAs would be helpful

09 May 2010 08:22
Secondskin
Make-up Artist
This member has been reset to pending

PM sent

ForumModerator is a moderatorPlatinum Member
09 May 2010 08:30
ForumModerator

West Sussex

It might be useful if some of our well-established MUAs were to give what they consider
to be a reasonable ball park rate for 2-hour, half-day and full day sessions with a qualified MUA

for non-advertising / non-publication UK studio work with reasonable standard photographers.

We won't hold you to this of course, but some type of benchmark figure is possibly needed to avoid timewasting.

~~~~~~~~

09 May 2010 19:27
Secondskin
Make-up Artist

Already done

19 May 2010 15:22
leighmoore
Photographer

Any chance of making that info public? As a rough guide, nothing else...
"OH YEAH!! Well Smurfs are blue and as a result look constantly chilly!" - AliceCat.

Gareth Clutton is off-lineGold Member
19 May 2010 15:25
GarethC
Photographer
GarethC
Wrexham
Wrexham

I would be interested in finding this out too as I have a tfp comming up and was thinking of getting a mua

19 May 2010 15:37
MMM_WOW
Make-up Artist

BECTU reccomend a minimum of £260 per 10 hour day, this does not include travel or box fees.

Allthough mainly used in the film and TV industry its a good guide as to what a a fully qualified , industry (High) standard should be charging as a minimum.

So the recomended MINIMUM rate is £26 hour plus travel and kit fee

But it is a free economy and people will want to negotiate, and those with higher skill levels will demand more, this is NOT a rate for a newly qualified out of college youtube trained MUA, it is for someone that could work to the standards required in the TV and Film industry

John

19 May 2010 15:50
leighmoore
Photographer

Quote from MMM_WOW
BECTU reccomend a minimum of £260 per 10 hour day, this does not include travel or box fees. Allthough mainly used in the film and TV industry its a good guide as to what a a fully qualified , industry (High) standard should be charging as a minimum. So the recomended MINIMUM rate is £26 hour plus travel and kit fee But it is a free economy and people will want to negotiate, and those with higher skill levels will demand more, this is NOT a rate for a newly qualified out of college youtube trained MUA, it is for someone that could work to the standards required in the TV and Film industry John

Brilliant, thanks! emoticon

"OH YEAH!! Well Smurfs are blue and as a result look constantly chilly!" - AliceCat.

20 May 2010 03:30
Secondskin
Make-up Artist

Sorry, didnt see this post till now. John is spot on!!

25 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
chosin Michelledefeo1 Silkythighslou SuzyMonty
AFYS brendan Cadwallen Chris650 claypaws daseinphoto DavidN dby47 gazzer59 grahamsphotography James7799 Ladiesman markeos50d Rscott360 stephenmuddell talldave68 ttstinger vapourtrail will_i_am Willjamieson
grailmodels