This thread is being watched by 1 person
Leanne Jessica is off-lineSilver Member
26 April 2010 17:11
LeanneMakeUp
Make-up Artist
LeanneMakeUp
London
Basildon

Yeah, I must admit I am slacking on advertising myself at the moment lol I must push my marketing more!

Leanne Jessica is off-lineSilver Member
26 April 2010 17:12
LeanneMakeUp
Make-up Artist
LeanneMakeUp
London
Basildon

Quote from Secondskin
Yep, I agree with John too. Its bloody hard. I have areas of makeup that i dont like but i still do it. I will not pick and choose and its like any job..it has its good projects and not so good!!  And John is also right about the marketing bit. You have to push your boundaries. I recently took on a job with the Fire Service that had me literally pooping my pants!! I felt sick for a week before it...but i pushed myself and now iv landed a regular gig with them...so its all about feeling the fear and doing it anyway..lol.

And i agree with you too Simply!!! I wouldnt turn work away even if i could....thats just my nature!! lol

Yeah I do all kinds too whatever pays... Some make-up artists will only do a few select genres but I personally don't. 

Karen Hegarty is off-line
27 April 2010 03:23
simplydivine
Make-up Artist
simplydivine
Cheshire

Gaynor that's right Pro MUA's should not cut prices, I think most of us charge around the same and give equal quality of work just in different styles.
As you say I don't think the quality of my port suffers because I take on paid work instead of TF or low paid work either. I still get booked on the strength of my work, as do you and others.

Leanne you already said in your original post that you are pick and choose your bridal work lol.

Victoria Howard is off-line
27 April 2010 08:40
Victoria_Howard
Make-up Artist
Victoria_Howard
Hungary
Budapest

Agents and word of mouth have being the most effective.

I also disagree with tasmin taylor.

Jeff Langhorne is off-lineSilver Member
27 April 2010 09:10
Jeff_Langhorne
Photographer
Jeff_Langhorne
Cheshire
Between Liverpool & Manchester

Having worked with Karen and Gaynor and agreeing with them both on what they've said I can't emphasise enough how beneficial it is to work with someone skilled even if they are more expensive... thats the point. You get what you pay for and a bad MUA can ruin as hoot and cost you more in the long run. 

Most of my paid work is Weddings and I see thousands charging far less and an increase in clients wanting all for nothing. I have to stick to my guns and say if you want this product and more importantly ME then you pay for it. Like wise with an MUA, you're paying for a skill not an item that one shop may sell cheaper than another but it's exactly the same. 

Why should I charge £600 for a wedding and give a cheap product and get a reputation as such but actually be better than those in that price bracket and have weddings that aren't great and a nightmare and have 40 in a year when I can do 25 at £2000 and have really nice venues and clients!!! Obviously what you're giving has to show it's worth it!! 

Sometimes being cheap puts people off as they think thats exactly what they will get at the end of it! cheap, sub standard and be unhappy with the end result. 

As an MUA your work relies on the photographer showing it off to it's best so by being cheap you might get booked more but what results will you get out of it?! 

suppose it's like everything really, Branston beans or Tesco value, Sovereign ring from Argos (nice!) or bespoke platinum with diamonds!! A photographer or a GWC.... an MUA or someone with a brush and blusher!

Don't undersell yourself as it can be extremely difficult to increase your price with any significance later.

28 April 2010 12:45
Secondskin
Make-up Artist
This member has been reset to pending

Thanks for your support Jeff

Karen Hegarty is off-line
29 April 2010 03:26
simplydivine
Make-up Artist
simplydivine
Cheshire

Quote from Jeff_Langhorne

Don't undersell yourself as it can be extremely difficult to increase your price with any significance later.

That is the point exactly Jeff, how do you then increase your prices once you have undersold your product ( ie ourselves)
totally agree with all you points and appreciate greatly your input on this forum. emoticon

Fisherface is off-line
03 May 2010 14:20
Fisherface
Make-up Artist
Fisherface
Suffolk
Lowestoft

Sorry to change the subject slightly.... how much do you guys charge for wedding make up?  I've done a few weddings in the past but most of my work is advertising or fashion/glamour.

7 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
FirstLifePhotography garydfreeman nick34eh redtail stevegosh steveh32 zzdigital