This thread is being watched by 1 person
Leanne Jessica is off-lineSilver Member
23 April 2010 20:17
LeanneMakeUp
Make-up Artist
LeanneMakeUp
London
Basildon

Where do you guys make most of your income from in make-up?

My main source used to be shoots (mainly glamour) but not anymore. I'm seeing regular clients being stolen by fellow make-up artists due to them offering a dirt cheap low rate. Highly frustrating.

I do makeovers and portfolios too but it's finding good local photographers who have the time for it to dedicate to making it regular enough work.

I could make a good living from bridal but I don't like doing it so I'm very selective about my bridal work.

I would like to get into commercial but I've no idea how to. And can't seem to find good agencies.

23 April 2010 21:00
tasmintaylor
Model

its the same with any job realy i think my sister has her own salon but has to compete with others just like yourself if others are able to get their prices low why can you not do this too till you have a good name out there for yourself then put the prices back up when they are fighting for you. its the same as any job really all depends how well your known and do you do the job and the evidance of this ie ports.

23 April 2010 21:02
tasmintaylor
Model

also lower prices more work more reputation more port peices. higher prices less work leving you with less reputation and less in your port x

Leanne Jessica is off-lineSilver Member
23 April 2010 22:06
LeanneMakeUp
Make-up Artist
LeanneMakeUp
London
Basildon

Point is I already have a very good name for myself and over 250 references.
I have worked for lots of magazines and designers and also model myself.

I am not dropping my rates with the amount of experience I have if people keep dropping rates in the end nobody will have work

24 April 2010 01:04
tasmintaylor
Model

whats wrong with bridal anyway i model bridal and love it lol

24 April 2010 05:21
MMM_WOW
Make-up Artist

There are well over 500 colleges in the Uk running Make up courses, if each of those has just 10 students, at year end they would turn out 5000 newly qualified make-up artists, add to that the plethora of models that now advertise they do thier own make-up, and the people that have a boots no& kit for christmas, you end up with a market that is swamped.

You could cut your prices , as was suggested, work for nothing, drive yourself to bankrupcy, but is not the way to go in any market, even though there is a reccession.

Very few will come knocking on your door, mainly because they cant be bothered, you have to continually market yourself and your skills, you need to work out what your USP ( unique selling point) is and just market the hell out of yourself.

If you are self employed, then it is a constant marketing battle and also if you are self employed, I really envy you being in the financial position to be able to pick and choose what work you do, Not everyone can afford to be as selective in refusing to do one genre of work even if it pays well and at the end of the day we all need to pay the bills.

You say you want to get into commercial work, or find an agancy or local photographers, then that is all about getting out there promoting yourself to them, looking for them , trawling websites, yellow pages, its all part of the joys of self employment.

Sorry if its not what you wanted to hear, sympathy is in the dictionary , you are working in a cut throat world,in a time of economic crisis (real or percieved) it is at times like this you have to sink or swim, and to swim you got to keep moving, getting your name around,knocking on doors etc.

John

Karen Hegarty is off-line
26 April 2010 13:13
simplydivine
Make-up Artist
simplydivine
Cheshire

I totally agree with all you say John. I am really busy at the minute, which is fantastic.I have had low times when work has been thin on the ground, but as you say you just have to keep pushing and marketing and doing what ever work pays the bills, I will never turn paid work away, I can't afford to be that choosy yet, but even if I could I still doubt I would.

26 April 2010 18:00
Secondskin
Make-up Artist
This member has been reset to pending

Quote from tasmintaylor
also lower prices more work more reputation more port peices. higher prices less work leving you with less reputation and less in your port x

Sorry, i dont agree with this! I dont lower my prices. I have been told many times by my clients...you get what you pay for!! My clients have found cheaper make up artists but they stick by me because they say i give 100% satisfaction and i dont think my port has suffered either?? Also word of mouth is far more successful at bringing in work than my port on here. In my opinion MUAs who undercut others prices do two things....firstly, eventually they will get discovered as being the undercutter and they LOSE their reputation as its not all about THEIR work, its about the profession as a whole and  secondly the biggest mistake to make in business is under selling yourself...long term, its fatal!!

26 April 2010 18:01
Secondskin
Make-up Artist

Quote from LeanneMakeUp
Point is I already have a very good name for myself and over 250 references. I have worked for lots of magazines and designers and also model myself. I am not dropping my rates with the amount of experience I have if people keep dropping rates in the end nobody will have work

TOTALLY agree with you Leanne!!

26 April 2010 18:07
Secondskin
Make-up Artist

Quote from simplydivine
I totally agree with all you say John. I am really busy at the minute, which is fantastic.I have had low times when work has been thin on the ground, but as you say you just have to keep pushing and marketing and doing what ever work pays the bills, I will never turn paid work away, I can't afford to be that choosy yet, but even if I could I still doubt I would.

Yep, I agree with John too. Its bloody hard. I have areas of makeup that i dont like but i still do it. I will not pick and choose and its like any job..it has its good projects and not so good!!  And John is also right about the marketing bit. You have to push your boundaries. I recently took on a job with the Fire Service that had me literally pooping my pants!! I felt sick for a week before it...but i pushed myself and now iv landed a regular gig with them...so its all about feeling the fear and doing it anyway..lol.

And i agree with you too Simply!!! I wouldnt turn work away even if i could....thats just my nature!! lol

30 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
alishaa Damm08 Lushlolly sarahjane1 Shhimblond Silkythighslou Superhawk8 toxicinnocence
Andyphotography Cole96 dirkus dorrian frankpht gazzer59 hylander iestyn jonnar42 kaosrox keltica lysander mrdl Ncp Richard99 rod_m99 rscott360 stephenmuddell steveh32 swalsh58 visions11 woody