Reminder Secure

Puzzles - Simple!

17 March 2010 12:56
whicker
Photographer

Answer this one, and post one of your own etc:

What do does man want, but no man want to lose?

Avatar is linked to the Smiths, not a personal belief one way or the other.

Ed is off-lineSilver Member
17 March 2010 13:03
ebphotographic
Photographer
ebphotographic
Wiltshire
Wilts/Hants/Dorset/

A lawsuit.

A man was to be sentenced, and the judge told him, "You may make a statement. If it is true, I'll sentence you to four years in prison. If it is false, I'll sentence you to six years in prison." After the man made his statement, the judge decided to let him go free. What did the man say?

17 March 2010 13:16
whicker
Photographer

Quote from ebphotographic
A lawsuit.

Cool answer.

You could also have said - "a bald head."  emoticon

squodge photography is off-line
18 March 2010 22:32
squodge
Photographer
This member has been reset to pending
squodge
London
London

Does the man say, "I'm going to be in prison for 6 years"?
There are 10 types of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who do not.

Holmax is off-line
19 March 2010 11:16
Holmax
Photographer
Holmax
East Yorkshire
Hull

Why is there only one monopolies and mergers commision?
www.holmax.com

19 March 2010 12:13
squodge
Photographer
squodge
London
London

Quote from Holmax
Why is there only one monopolies and mergers commision?

It's a regulatory organisation, not a commercial venture.

Next.
There are 10 types of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who do not.

19 March 2010 12:30
whicker
Photographer

emoticon
Quote from squodge
Does the man say, "I'm going to be in prison for 6 years"?

Wouldn't work. The judge would simply say "I sentence you to 6 years in Prison."

The judge, knowing the penal system, knows full well that the guy will probably serve 3 years max, so WON'T actually be going to prison for 6 years, making it a false statement, thus honouring  his (the judge's) bargain.

20 March 2010 00:17
squodge
Photographer
squodge
London
London

Quote from whicker
emoticon

Wouldn't work. The judge would simply say "I sentence you to 6 years in Prison."

The judge, knowing the penal system, knows full well that the guy will probably serve 3 years max, so WON'T actually be going to prison for 6 years, making it a false statement, thus honouring  his (the judge's) bargain.

Okay, so the defendant says, "You will serve me with 6 years in prison". It doesn't matter if he doesn't actually do 6 full years; but he's served with it. If he's served 6 years, that means he's telling the truth, but he'd only get 6 years if he were lying according to the puzzle.

21 March 2010 13:14
whicker
Photographer

I see what you mean, but that doesn't sound right, A statement about the future isn't really true OR false. The guy could say "England will win the 2010 World Cup" for example. ....

I think the answer is the guy says - " I did the crime, but my Siamese twin Brother is innocent." The judge knows this to be true .

Because they are Siamese twins, the judge can't send EITHER to prison, because one of them is innoncent.

So the guilty one makes a true statement and gets off.

24 March 2010 00:27
squodge
Photographer
squodge
London
London

Quote from whicker
I see what you mean, but that doesn't sound right, A statement about the future isn't really true OR false. The guy could say "England will win the 2010 World Cup" for example. ....

I think the answer is the guy says - " I did the crime, but my Siamese twin Brother is innocent." The judge knows this to be true .

Because they are Siamese twins, the judge can't send EITHER to prison, because one of them is innoncent.

So the guilty one makes a true statement and gets off.

There's no reason why one can't be an accessory to the crime. If it's really the case that we have to somehow accept that the judge knew only one of them could do it, then the original question in the puzzle (what did the man say?) is irrelevant, and therefore the puzzle is flawed.

24 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
chosin ElleLaura gggggg Kitty_1 latara_18 Tashaholz Vickey
AaronKent ansonphotography bbphotos hioctane iestyn john_at_tina_spice jonnywoo Kjoservices mlp oro p4pFetography plld RenedeHaan Spiritofwales stevegosh steveh32 Thunder_Photos