Reminder Secure

Copyright theft

This thread is being watched by 1 person
Valerie Tannock is off-line
09 March 2010 11:14
vandamakeup
Make-up Artist

Glasgow

Ok, I'm on here to vent my anger and for some advice.
I've just done a wedding Fayre on Sunday and was asked to do the make-up for the dress designers 5 models. There was also another makeup artist that was asked to do the models' hair and my husband took some photos for the dress designer. This was agreed by the coordinator so that everyone had their fair shot of exhibiting their wares.
I've been proudly working on updating my blog about the fayre and put some images on and thought I'd have a look to see if any other exhibitors had anything on about the day. When I looked at the other makeup artist's site she has loads of photos on of the models claiming ALL HAIR AND MAKEUP BY...
I was absolutely livid! I'm not sure when her photos were taken but I did notice in a couple that she had added false lashes (called them lash extensions and it was certainly NOT my handiwork) and some bright liner. Unless she took their makeup off completely and started from scratch (which I doubt) she has manipulated my work and called it her own.
What should I do girls/gents? Make it public? have a quiet word? I'm just so livid just now I need to calm down so I can make a professional decission.
Any advice greatly received.

Chris Conway is off-line
09 March 2010 11:24
ChrisConway
Photographer
ChrisConway
London
London

Well its nothing to do with copyright, and nothing illegal (or theft related) ... so speaking to her on a personal level is your only chance.

Not a leg to stand on though really, sorry
The man who smiles when things go wrong has already thought of someone to blame it on...

14 March 2010 19:14
Secondskin
Make-up Artist
This member has been reset to pending

I would be livid too. I suggest you get in touch with the MUA and politely point out that what she has done is wrong and isnt very professional. Maybe (its unlikely BUT) maybe she doesnt realise what she has done?? Is she a pro? Does she know MUA Etiquette? Stay calm and politely point out that you are not happy and try to come to a compromise. Maybe have both Artists names on the pics? (Unless she has made a right pigs ear of your makeup work and you wouldnt want your name put to it??) If she gets stroppy and unprofessional about it, then you have no choice but to tell her that you will 'OUT' her publically. I dont think she would take the chance of being humiliated??

Thats just my opinion

Bob is off-linePlatinum Member
14 March 2010 19:28
Bob
Photographer
Bob
Devon
Honiton

It's certainly NOT copyright theft, but it IS deception if she is claiming that make-up you did was done by her.

If you had created a totally unique make-up design on a model and she had copied it exactly on another model you might have some grounds to go after her for © theft but in this case she has not copied you - she is 'passing-off' your work as being hers.

Bob

Victoria Howard is off-line
17 March 2010 12:14
Victoria_Howard
Make-up Artist
Victoria_Howard
Hungary
Budapest

Is she new? How old is she?

I know its not professional either way. But if it was someone who was young and just starting out, I would phone them and calmly explain to them what they had done wrong and why she should fix is, sometimes new people just don't think.

If its an older enough to know better, its not moral to pass your work off as someone else's and somewhere along the lines I'm sure it is illegal to purposely deceive someone I know if I work for an agent, I can't go around claiming that its my client, when in fact its the agents client. If another MUA works with me, then I have to give them credit too.

Are either of you union members?

33 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
danixhale Natpenelope Winterlilly
AndiCallen ansonphotography Blancho bradder carshaltonkev casell chriscooze cliffc david1500 dhuntuk djb1 dorrian Fluffypup FlyingShot gshocker30 KDP keltica MIB mikebee Phiesta1 philcarpenter61 Photojames43 PhotoSpyroS Pictureimage Platidonio rembrandt Rscott360 steveh32 ton viewphotographic