This thread is being watched by 2 people
CGW is off-line
22 January 2010 07:28
cgwebster
Photographer
cgwebster
Hampshire
Basingstoke

There has been a few threads here on how taken for granted MUA's are, how people take the P by constantly posting for TF* work etc. but none of the threads really informed me how much a MUA should cost. Apologies for my ignorance on this and if I've missed something, I'm afraid to say I have only worked with MUA's on a TF* basis in the past (not from this site though).

For instance, do you have a menu of rates (by that I mean an hourly cost + material charges depending on what is required) or do you do bespoke pricing per assignment or some other formulae ?

The reason I'm asking is I'm looking into some commercial opportunities and need to know what to budget and thus give the client a realistic quote.

Colin

Victoria Howard is off-line
22 January 2010 08:09
Victoria_Howard
Make-up Artist
Victoria_Howard
Hungary
Budapest

Sent you a link via pm

CGW is off-line
22 January 2010 09:41
cgwebster
Photographer
cgwebster
Hampshire
Basingstoke

Quote from Victoria_Howard
Sent you a link via pm

Thanks for the message, appreciated!

Colin

ben harvey is off-line
22 January 2010 10:09
benharvey
Photographer

Lancashire
wigan

was it secret?

Michael Dainty is off-line
22 January 2010 10:21
Mike_Dainty_ARTIST
Photographer
Mike_Dainty_ARTIST
Merseyside
Liverpool

At the expense of bringing the wrath of a 'foundation' of MUA's down on me I think that MUA's are no more exempt from working TF* than photographers or models.
(Some) MUA's seem to think that TF* is only applicable if its others working for them and that their part in the creative process should be paid for. 
Just think of the expense it would come to for a new MUA to book both a model and pay the photographer for the images produced. Even those (few) who have had the professionalism to pay out for the services of models and photographers would I'm sure admit that while leaning their art didn't pay a fee to everybody they practiced on.
The funny thing (I find) is that it is not always the best MUA's who seem to doing the shouting and I'm sure that the photographers who support them are often after  freebies themselves.
Now let me say here that a 'good' MUA is an important thing and worth every penny of their fee ( which will be whatever they ask — the same as any other professional) but until they can prove via images of their work that they are worth that fee then they like everyone else (may) need to work TF*
TF* is a two (or even a three) way street. Those who don't need to do it, wont, and those who think it will be in their interest to, will.
If I was doing an important shoot then I wouldn't trust using an unproved MUA just to save a couple of quid, but I would work with a new MUA and provide my time, skills and images for FREE if they were also giving their time , skill and materials for free.
I am not an MUA so cannot give you rates, let's see if you get any rates in open forum.
Mike.

CGW is off-line
22 January 2010 10:26
cgwebster
Photographer
cgwebster
Hampshire
Basingstoke

Quote from benharvey
was it secret?

Absolutely emoticon

CGW is off-line
22 January 2010 10:29
cgwebster
Photographer
cgwebster
Hampshire
Basingstoke

Quote from Mike_Dainty_ARTIST
At the expense of bringing the wrath of a 'foundation' of MUA's down on me I think that MUA's are no more exempt from working TF* than photographers or models.
(Some) MUA's seem to think that TF* is only applicable if its others working for them and that their part in the creative process should be paid for. 
Just think of the expense it would come to for a new MUA to book both a model and pay the photographer for the images produced. Even those (few) who have had the professionalism to pay out for the services of models and photographers would I'm sure admit that while leaning their art didn't pay a fee to everybody they practiced on.
The funny thing (I find) is that it is not always the best MUA's who seem to doing the shouting and I'm sure that the photographers who support them are often after  freebies themselves.
Now let me say here that a 'good' MUA is an important thing and worth every penny of their fee ( which will be whatever they ask — the same as any other professional) but until they can prove via images of their work that they are worth that fee then they like everyone else (may) need to work TF*
TF* is a two (or even a three) way street. Those who don't need to do it, wont, and those who think it will be in their interest to, will.
If I was doing an important shoot then I wouldn't trust using an unproved MUA just to save a couple of quid, but I would work with a new MUA and provide my time, skills and images for FREE if they were also giving their time , skill and materials for free.
I am not an MUA so cannot give you rates, let's see if you get any rates in open forum.
Mike.

All good points, but I was asking about paid, commercial rates and how these are made up. I wasn't trying to start another "should MUA's do TF* or not" thread, honest! emoticon

Colin

22 January 2010 11:40
Secondskin
Make-up Artist
This member has been reset to pending

Quote from Mike_Dainty_ARTIST
Mike.

Ha ha, Im one of the loud 'shouters'  ....oh dear, does that mean im crap??? lol

22 January 2010 11:41
Secondskin
Make-up Artist

Quote from cgwebster
All good points, but I was asking about paid, commercial rates and how these are made up. I wasn't trying to start another "should MUA's do TF* or not" thread, honest! emoticon

Colin

Its ok Colin...You didnt come across as if you were anyhow. emoticon

22 January 2010 11:44
Secondskin
Make-up Artist

And can i just add..what is wrong with Victoria  privately pm'ing Colin??? I know lots of photographers and models who wouldnt dream of putting their rates on a forum??why should we ?? I dont have anything to hide at all, my rates are fair and suitable but its my business and i wouldnt splash it all over here..like i dont splash anything else about my private affairs...

21 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
chosin
albaphotos coolc700 jamstephto keltica Ladiesman MauricesImagery mikehemmings MrNeil Njsphotography noellynoel PhilStorm PHP_Photography RenedeHaan stevegosh steveh32 Thunder_Photos Tonypleavin Wildman69 woody
Lensmaster