Reminder Secure

Titanium Dioxide free foundations???

07 January 2010 11:21
Secondskin
Make-up Artist
This member has been reset to pending

Quote from Allinthemind
Are you looking for TiO2 free due to the reflectance?  I tried different brands and photographed them and I wonder if this is part myth, or at least not as bad as people think.  Mac foundations, I believe, have TiO2 and it looked fine when photographed to me.

Si

Yes Si. I was just toying with the idea of using Titanium free due to possible  light reflecting issues, Although my products seem to be ok so far so im not sure about all the hype???  Im also toying with the idea of buying some new HD airbrushing makeups instead of usual application.emoticon

Claire Shipman is off-line
07 January 2010 14:14
ClaireShipman
Make-up Artist
ClaireShipman
Nottinghamshire
Nottingham

Try photographing mineral make up, some brands are loaded with the stuff. TD is a chemical used in suncreams to help block the suns rays and causes major flashback when a flash is fired at it (depending on the amount).

a lot of foundations do have it, but quite small amounts which is usually fine (may create a slight grey cast, looking at the chest to the face) find a make up loaded with it and it will totally screw up your photographs.

Its interesting to just photograph it and see what happens... but trust me, its not a myth, it looks dreadful.

Here is an interesting reads on it:

http://faythemesic.blogspot.com/

Simon Young is off-lineSilver Member
07 January 2010 14:59
Allinthemind
Photographer
Allinthemind
Gloucestershire

Thanks Claire. When I trained in makeup, I tested about 6-10 different foundations and couldn't see the flashback, however, I have noticed it at weddings and now you mention it, this MUA used her own mineral line of makeup.

So really, it's best to test the foundation under flash to be sure? The MAX Fac color adapt works fine. I use it mostly as it gives good matching, low reflectance and is easy to edit I've never seen flaking from it, I use Clarins face powders., mostly Mac eye shadows, various others.

Thabks again..

Si

Below is Max Fac..
In the "Information Age", continued ignorance must be a choice motivated initially through inherited beliefs.

07 January 2010 15:33
Secondskin
Make-up Artist

Quote from ClaireShipman
Try photographing mineral make up, some brands are loaded with the stuff. TD is a chemical used in suncreams to help block the suns rays and causes major flashback when a flash is fired at it (depending on the amount). a lot of foundations do have it, but quite small amounts which is usually fine (may create a slight grey cast, looking at the chest to the face) find a make up loaded with it and it will totally screw up your photographs. Its interesting to just photograph it and see what happens... but trust me, its not a myth, it looks dreadful. Here is an interesting reads on it: http://faythemesic.blogspot.com/

Very VERY interesting read Claire...im definately going to be making some changes )

07 January 2010 15:39
Secondskin
Make-up Artist

I happen to love Max Factor...i know alot of makeup artists would cringe at the thought, but i have a lot of it in my kit Although i discovered that their new Secondskin makeup range is loaded with TD...sadly i just bought the whole range before i found out...ha ha so Ebay here i come!!! Iv opted for Stila and Smashbox and looking at Cinema Secrets and Too Faced?

Claire Shipman is off-line
07 January 2010 16:47
ClaireShipman
Make-up Artist
ClaireShipman
Nottinghamshire
Nottingham

@ Secondskin - Have you tested it on camera in different lighting set ups before you get rid?

@ Si - That is a good skin match. It really is trial and error unfortunately you will spend a lot of money before you find out what works and what doesn't. Mineral foundations are the worst kind of make up going, I explain to every bride its the worst choice they could ever make for their photographs when they request I use it (eeek) I opt for non high street foundations myself, ones specifically for camera and noticed a huge difference on camera.

I'll try and dig out some totally raw files to show the difference.

This is slightly off topic but did anyone see this, how to ruin your career in one easy step lol: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1236334/Nicole-Kidman-suffers-make-faux-pas-Nine-premiere.html

Simon Young is off-lineSilver Member
08 January 2010 02:02
Allinthemind
Photographer
Allinthemind
Gloucestershire

Quote from Secondskin
I happen to love Max Factor...i know alot of makeup artists would cringe at the thought, but i have a lot of it in my kit Although i discovered that their new Secondskin makeup range is loaded with TD...sadly i just bought the whole range before i found out...ha ha so Ebay here i come!!! Iv opted for Stila and Smashbox and looking at Cinema Secrets and Too Faced?

Some foundations, I presume, will benefit from high reflectance, "That young looking glow".  Just because they don't work well under flash, they would still work as intended for daywear etc...  Fascinating stuff....

Si  
In the "Information Age", continued ignorance must be a choice motivated initially through inherited beliefs.

08 January 2010 15:20
Secondskin
Make-up Artist

Quote from ClaireShipman
@ Secondskin - Have you tested it on camera in different lighting set ups before you get rid?

@ Si - That is a good skin match. It really is trial and error unfortunately you will spend a lot of money before you find out what works and what doesn't. Mineral foundations are the worst kind of make up going, I explain to every bride its the worst choice they could ever make for their photographs when they request I use it (eeek) I opt for non high street foundations myself, ones specifically for camera and noticed a huge difference on camera.

I'll try and dig out some totally raw files to show the difference.

This is slightly off topic but did anyone see this, how to ruin your career in one easy step lol: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1236334/Nicole-Kidman-suffers-make-faux-pas-Nine-premiere.html

Not had chance to try them out yet but as TD is listed in the first 3 ingredients i dont think il bother opening them... already ordered new stuff ))

08 January 2010 18:19
Secondskin
Make-up Artist

Claire...I just checked out Nicole Kidman......OMMMMMMMMMG!!! Makeup artist SUICIDE!!!! ha ha ha i had to laugh though!! What strikes me as odd is that how many self absorbed A listers were surrounding her??? NOT ONE saw fit to let her know??? and they must have had plenty of time to mention it? Its not like it wasnt OBVIOUS!! I know the lights would have picked it up more but COME ON...ha ha ha

24 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
alishaa Kitty_1 tomdowie
andyf antoinewynn djb1 dorrian Dphphotography eosfan Flyingphotographer Geronimo guitarman Ladiesman markeewould martinchristie mlp nemesis nick34eh PhilStorm plld poah pose4me stevegosh Steveh32