This thread is being watched by 1 person
Lindsay Sian Snuggs is off-line
16 January 2010 18:33
LindsaySianSnuggs
Make-up Artist
LindsaySianSnuggs
Hampshire
Southampton

Found this recently, which is a great breakthrough for those of us involved in the film/tv side of things... anyone know if there's been a similar ruling for photographic work, or whether this ruling affects photographic too?

Linds x
Portfolio: www.lindsaysiansnuggs.carbonmade.com

Victoria Howard is off-line
17 January 2010 10:04
Victoria_Howard
Make-up Artist
Victoria_Howard
Hungary
Budapest

Quote from LindsaySianSnuggs
Found this recently, which is a great breakthrough for those of us involved in the film/tv side of things... anyone know if there's been a similar ruling for photographic work, or whether this ruling affects photographic too?

Linds x

I think you forgot the link?

Paul Cox is off-line
17 January 2010 10:19
paulcoxphotography
Photographer
paulcoxphotography
Greater Manchester

Linds x

If there are circumstances where the photographer is being paid and take a mua for work experience and end up using them for paid client in a similar way to this case then possibly.  You're not seeking to link this in any way to testing and TFP though presumably?

Bob is off-linePlatinum Member
17 January 2010 11:48
Bob
Photographer
Bob
Devon
Honiton

which is a great breakthrough for those of us involved in the film/tv side of things...

Only for those employed on a work experience basis and not for those who are self-employed and merely offering their time or skills. There is a big difference between being engaged on a non-paid 'work experience' contract and freelancing.

Mind you, even if it did cover them, I wonder if many freelance MUAs would be prepared to work for the UK minimum wage.

Bob emoticon

Misty is off-line
17 January 2010 12:38
misty_model
Model
misty_model
Merseyside
Wirral

I actually did downgrade my mua profile on here recently, so that I am no longer paying a subscription, as I really didn't see the point of spending the money.

It's all well and good for the moderators to say 'well just don't look at the tf castings then' but when your inbox is daily filled with "hun i luv ur work.... ru interested in tf shoot..." normally in text speak from a mediocre model with little experience, for a shoot with a mediocre photographer with little experience.

And this benefits me because???? This is worth my time, petrol, kit costs why??? That is what makes me angry, When I've worked in industry for coming up to 4 years, spent £2000 on my level 3 qualification, am currently spending £15,000 doing a degree in make up and have a kit insured for £4000, I receive messages telling me that my work is so wonderful, they want to let me do their makeup for free! I've never been so truly honoured.

So fair do's, I won't look at tf castings anymore, so I don't get wound up, but the mods in that case also stop total oblivious idiots from sending me PM's with ridiculous requests then?
(The lastest was a tf offer, for a glamour shoot in manchester with a newbie model, 100mile roundtrip petrol alone! And when I refused, the photographer requesting had a go at me, saying my status should be pro if i wasn't going to accept tf, and not semi pro, and I was in the wrong letting her down for being misleading!!!!)
UK wide petite, flexible, professional dancer/model working to nude levels

17 January 2010 15:11
Secondskin
Make-up Artist
This member has been reset to pending

Quote from Victoria_Howard
I think you forgot the link?

You have to actually click on 'this' that is the link

17 January 2010 15:14
Secondskin
Make-up Artist

Quote from misty_model
I actually did downgrade my mua profile on here recently, so that I am no longer paying a subscription, as I really didn't see the point of spending the money. It's all well and good for the moderators to say 'well just don't look at the tf castings then' but when your inbox is daily filled with "hun i luv ur work.... ru interested in tf shoot..." normally in text speak from a mediocre model with little experience, for a shoot with a mediocre photographer with little experience. And this benefits me because???? This is worth my time, petrol, kit costs why??? That is what makes me angry, When I've worked in industry for coming up to 4 years, spent £2000 on my level 3 qualification, am currently spending £15,000 doing a degree in make up and have a kit insured for £4000, I receive messages telling me that my work is so wonderful, they want to let me do their makeup for free! I've never been so truly honoured. So fair do's, I won't look at tf castings anymore, so I don't get wound up, but the mods in that case also stop total oblivious idiots from sending me PM's with ridiculous requests then? (The lastest was a tf offer, for a glamour shoot in manchester with a newbie model, 100mile roundtrip petrol alone! And when I refused, the photographer requesting had a go at me, saying my status should be pro if i wasn't going to accept tf, and not semi pro, and I was in the wrong letting her down for being misleading!!!!)

Its just ridiculous that you should have to put up with that!!!!!

Claire Shipman is off-line
17 January 2010 17:16
ClaireShipman
Make-up Artist
ClaireShipman
Nottinghamshire
Nottingham

Quote from
Comment: The professional MUA who was offering another MUA the opportunity to assist / network claimed that she was NOT being paid.

Thank you for your response.

'Claimed' being the key word here.emoticon

I have known mua's work on high end 'tests' and found out after the shoot that the photographer and the model where being paid by a large client and the team where all taking the budget for the mua, who stupidly did the job for free in the hope she could network and get some nice images. This happens a lot!

Its not hard to claim your not being paid for a job when you are, personally I don't believe shes not getting paid and if she isnt then more fool her in my opinion, unless its for charity of course, I do a lot of charity work for reputable charities.

31 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
ElleLaura heather94 Kayleigh94 Littlemiss01 lynnesel Michelledefeo1
Blancho cliffc Creativedge digitizer djb1 eosfan freddie Ianmcculloch ImageStyle kinofist LGI markeos50d MIB mike0048 mrdl nige_nw panda49 Photogenic2 redbaron Robinsky Snooper911 stevegosh Steveh32 supaglam Willy_O