Reminder Secure

Hmmmmmmmmmm

This thread is being watched by 1 person
02 January 2010 07:42
Secondskin
Make-up Artist
This member has been reset to pending

QUOTE.......'After a successful casting i put up only a few days ago_i now require a mua/hairstylist to join me on all shoots throughout January and February.
Please contact me on here if interested'

AND ALL EXPECTED ON TF ???emoticon

ForumModerator is a moderatorPlatinum Member
02 January 2010 07:49
ForumModerator

West Sussex

It seems MUAs may be achieving parity with Photographers in respect of picking up the tab.

If TF requests upset members we suggest they should NOT click on TF Casting Calls.

~~~~~~~~

03 January 2010 11:02
Secondskin
Make-up Artist

I didnt click on tf!! I clicked on general casting call?? So not only have we been cut down to one forum section, now we are made to feel like we cant express our opinion!!! I pay to be on this site and i thought the forum was for doing exactly that?? now  Mr [Ms] Moderator, ur making me feel like i have done something wrong ???

AND, its not tf that upsets me (i have done a very big fair share of it myself) its the AMOUNT!!!!! it takes the michael!!!!!!!!! Im an upstanding member of Purestorm and never abuse anyone and always try to play by the rules. I feel proper disgruntled now!! emoticon Thats twice the moderators have put a stop to my opinion which annoys me as iv seen members swearing and slagging each other down and the moderators often dont step in?????emoticon

Victoria Howard is off-line
04 January 2010 05:45
Victoria_Howard
Make-up Artist
Victoria_Howard
Hungary
Budapest

Quote from ForumModerator

It seems MUAs may be achieving parity with Photographers in respect of picking up the tab.

LOL

I'm really starting to wish I hadn't spent all that time and money training.

Lindsay Sian Snuggs is off-line
04 January 2010 12:27
LindsaySianSnuggs
Make-up Artist
LindsaySianSnuggs
Hampshire
Southampton

Quote from Secondskin
QUOTE.......'After a successful casting i put up only a few days ago_i now require a mua/hairstylist to join me on all shoots throughout January and February.
Please contact me on here if interested'

AND ALL EXPECTED ON TF ???emoticon

I know, it's crazy isn't it! But I doubt the people offering these 'great' opportunities will ever read this thread and change their expectations accordingly! emoticon
Would it be helpful to compile a rough pay scale guide to give potential clients and idea of what is an industry accepted rate?
Or at least a list of what would need to be involved to get any form of TF* from us MUAs;  and also what consitutes a completely outrageous offer that will cause us to get all cross and gnash our teeth?!

Sharing your frustration,
Linds x
Portfolio: www.lindsaysiansnuggs.carbonmade.com

04 January 2010 12:43
photosbycolin
Photographer

As a photographer a keen hobbyist / amateur, i have worked with make up artists with a model and also without and in each case the MAU  made the shoot better so yes I think , for their expertise and products used it is not unreasonable to expect some payment.

As I said I am an amateur who has to fund all costs so sometimes a MAU cannot be considered, I have worked recently with a model who brought her own MAU

which for me was brilliant and the model got more images she wanted instead of what was available,

I suggest more models take this line as if they pay the MAU and the money is from  the modelling it will be a win/ win situation..... but I do not hold hopes up.

Colin
The world is full of nice people. so please keep that in mind.

CGW is off-line
04 January 2010 12:43
cgwebster
Photographer
cgwebster
Hampshire
Basingstoke

Quote from LindsaySianSnuggs
I know, it's crazy isn't it! But I doubt the people offering these 'great' opportunities will ever read this thread and change their expectations accordingly! emoticon
Would it be helpful to compile a rough pay scale guide to give potential clients and idea of what is an industry accepted rate?
Or at least a list of what would need to be involved to get any form of TF* from us MUAs;  and also what consitutes a completely outrageous offer that will cause us to get all cross and gnash our teeth?!

Sharing your frustration,
Linds x

I for one would appreciate some clarity over what would be the going rate for different types of MUA assignment (not that my current requirements would make any difference to the economy!)

Colin

Dave Laurie is off-line
04 January 2010 12:59
deetvstudio
Photographer
deetvstudio
Lancashire
Preston

Hell I'm on your side on both counts!
a). Feeling that it's a diabolical liberty to ask for that and that there's any expectancy of getting it.
b). That you should have the right to Post your displeasure in the Forum. If no-one ever points out the cost in time and materials to these people, then how are they to know they are asking way too much for nothing, plus it's likely to spawn copy-cat Calls later.
Then we just end up with a Casting Call List of stupid requests which no-one in their right mind will ever fulfill, rendering the system pointless.

Dave.
(okay, maybe that's a worst-case scenario, but you get my drift)

04 January 2010 14:36
Secondskin
Make-up Artist

Thanks for your support everyone. I too think its diabolical, but it seems the moderators only wish to cut me down AGAIN!!! (Im sure il get a pm soon) I feel that i am only pointing out how ridiculous and down right cheeky some people are, and like Victoria said in her post, i sometimes wish i hadnt bothered.

Why the hell do some people think that we are there to be at their beck and call???

And Linds, i think youre right, these people need to be made aware of our costs. For example, i only topped up my kit with a few small essentials this weekend...I spent £150 ?? My new case i bought was £95...and this is one of many. Bodypaints i have to have imported and i pay extra customs charge on top of the price AND postage! I could go on because the list most definately goes on but i dont want to rant.

What surprises me is that a very high percentage of models are women. Do they not buy makeup then? Do they have little makeup fairies who deliver theirs to the door free of charge??? Show me ONE woman who doesnt know the cost of makeup!! so there is no excuse. This is not TFP its exploitation!

And can i add, as this has turned into a bit of a rant now lol, that i am not tight fisted or without passion for my work AND iv done copious amounts of TFP to get to where i am because i understand the importance of working together to create art, but please, for the love of god, stop taking the **** out of hard working Makeup Artists!(And photographers too for that matter because they bust a gut for every great image they create!!)

If we stop posting about these castings, then we will eventually lose the battle!! So i dont care if i have to repeat myself, if it stops just ONE MUA being used to a point where you lose your passion, then i will have achieved something at least!!

Bob is off-linePlatinum Member
04 January 2010 14:56
Bob
Photographer
Bob
Devon
Honiton

Quote from Secondskin
Why the hell do some people think that we are there to be at their beck and call??? 

Because it's the internet and many think everything is for free. On the other hand, why should MUAs think they shouldn't be expected to work for free in a world where models seem to not only think that photographers do not deserve to be paid, but also that photographers should pay models?

Regarding the cost of materials, as most models seem to carry at least a stick or two of lippy and a tub of pollyfilla could the MUA not use that instead so that model and MUA were effectively just trading time rather than the MUA having to shell out on make-up too. after all, the model does not give the make-up back at the end of the shoot so she's gaining even more in exchange for her time.

Bob emoticon

PS Does using ridiculously priced imports and big name high value products really make that much of a difference - or are MUAs like those photographers who think that having the highest priced equipment is much more important than having natural skill and ability to use any equipment to hand?

26 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Alexis92 danixhale tim
63jian Cheshunt83 cliffc davidn DJ200 duncanjames extra_mayo fashionphotography Ladiesman MauricesImagery nemesis pcmphotography Phoenixpics Robinsky Rupert skinz Snooper911 stevegosh Steveh32 Steveharratt supaglam totalpics Willjamieson
tim