Reminder Secure

Well it didnt take long to find a way round it

22 December 2009 15:26
MMM_WOW
Make-up Artist

Well it seems it didnt take long for people to find a way round the MUA rules on here

http://www.purestorm.com/view-casting-call.aspx?id=4644

This is about the third one in as many days

It will only end tears i tell you emoticon

Sammie Dixon is off-line
22 December 2009 16:03
makemeup
Make-up Artist

Lancashire
Blackpool

iv just noticed that too, so unfair to make-up artist that have trained hard and put so much work into what they are doing, for a model to turn around and say well i think im good at make-up so thats what im going to do . your port is fab .

alexkidd is off-line
29 December 2009 15:47
alexkidd
Photographer
alexkidd
East Yorkshire
Hull

i understand that you get a lot of knowledge through the training to be a mua but if someone is genuinely good at doing make up and both parties are aware of the risks/lack of knowledge then it has to be a viable option

i suppose the thing with any profession is you need to stand out which mua training should probably do
www.as-images.com or co.uk ~ i lack interweb social skills and may come across a bit james blunt

squodge photography is off-line
04 January 2010 23:34
squodge
Photographer
This member has been reset to pending
squodge
London
London

Photographers, MUAs, and stylists spend a lot of money on equipment and training. Often we're all taken for granted, and the only thing you can do is market yourself as competitively as you can.

Competition isn't just about offering the best rates (or even giving it away), it's more about convincing potential clients that parting with some money WILL guarantee them substantially better results.

Models might well be offering make-up skills, but many also offer their photography skills. If they can market their work effectively, then they've proven themselves to have better business acumen than someone who's formally trained at what they do. Good business sense has almost nothing to do with the skill required to do the job.

Rather than lament the fact that models offering themselves as MUAs as some kind of travesty, see it as healthy competition. In many ways, some people might even get their fingers burned using a faux MUA... and that's where you guys come in. Just as in photography, there might be cowboys offering £99 weddings: the great wedding photographers will simply swoop in and say, "Do you want to entrust your entire wedding to a cowboy or someone with training and experience?". No amount of money will rescue a botch wedding shoot.

So with make-up skills, you just have to promote yourselves as completely reliable, certified, insured, etc. In all businesses, people/companies will sell products or services that are a tiny part of what they actually do: e.g. a pizza parlour might offer burgers as well, but they don't pretend to be as good as Burger King Whoppers. So the models who offer makeovers: I doubt they profess to be anywhere as good as the professionally trained MUAs. However, if they do convince punters to part with money to do their makeovers, good for them. I take my hat off to anyone who can promote themselves successfully.

~ squodge ~
There are 10 types of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who do not.

25 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Alexis92 Katielouxox Michelledefeo1 Winterlilly
BOBREEVES cgwebster ChrisD claypaws dirkus duncanjames Fashionphotography hfordtom humphries jonasbee KDP keltica Ladiesman noggy1930 oldbloke pcmphotography Photogenic2 rod_m99 rscott360 Steveh32 zzdigital