Work experince placements

Victoria Howard is off-line
21 December 2009 10:15
Victoria_Howard
Make-up Artist
Victoria_Howard
Hungary
Budapest

Does anyone have interns/working experience shadow them...?

I have been asked by a local college to take some students...

Not too sure if this is a great idea.

Anyone care to give me some wisdom?

Sammie Dixon is off-line
22 December 2009 17:10
makemeup
Make-up Artist

Lancashire
Blackpool

hiya im a student doing my nvq3 did my 2 last year would be a fab chance for tham to work with you your pictures are brill
the only thing i would say tho is i love make-up and it is what i want to do, i put so much hard work in but on the other hand there are a few people in my college that donnt care that much about it and just do it for the sake of it.
if this is your job and how you put food on the table you might find they get in the way and wast your time alot as iv not learnet as much as people would think at college iv had to find things oput for mayself and learn from things i do wrong.
hope this helps you make you mind up sorry its not much help tho
hope ya have a fab xmas all the best in the new year.
xxx

AfroDizzyNat is off-line
19 June 2010 06:14
AfroDizzyNat
Model
AfroDizzyNat
West Sussex
crawley

i've been looking to do that with local make up artists, but no one seems that keen to be shadowed...
~AfroDizzyNat~ West Sussex

19 June 2010 06:25
kater
Model

I was a intern for several different companies and I actually felt a bit taken advantage of because I was doing the bulk of the work, even important stuff where as my boss would be working from home a lot of the time and then didn't give me a good refernce to take back to school!
I personally would find an intern very useful. You can use them to make coffee, wash your brushes, send them on errands
'please keep offending people, I love seeing you naked'.

Shawn Barker is off-line
19 June 2010 07:04
FrameworksMedia
Photographer
FrameworksMedia
Staffordshire
Stoke-on-Trent

As a photographer, I've had work experience pupils placed with me. The LEA or placement tutor will run an initial check on you for H&S and CRB as well as an interview. You then have the option to take students at an individual level. I've found that the ones that I have had have been a pleasure to work with. However, in my previous employment, we used to take pupils randomly and occasionly ended up with 'idiots'. Same as any employment process I guess, interview and vet the people first.

Sammie Dixon is off-line
19 June 2010 16:38
makemeup
Make-up Artist

Lancashire
Blackpool

would any make-up artist in the north west be willing to take on a make-up artist as an assistent ??
sammie x

20 June 2010 17:19
Secondskin
Make-up Artist
This member has been reset to pending

Quote from AfroDizzyNat
i've been looking to do that with local make up artists, but no one seems that keen to be shadowed...

I have been asked many times by students wanting to do what i do if i will let them shadow me. I prefer not to. In my job, it is hard enough concentrating on what im doing in sometimes very busy environments. I would never get the job done if i had to keep stopping and explaining or showing someone what to do because i dont think id be comfortable in using a student to fetch and carry for me doing all the donkey work ....i would want them to feel like they have learnt something...which takes time, i just couldnt afford to take any chances with my clients. You get one chance to get it right and if youre too busy teaching someone else things are going to go very Pete Tong!! Its different if its TFP and a relaxed shoot but i dont do shoots like that very often.

Its not a case of MUA's being unfriendly or not wanting to help, its just hard to carry out in our usual environment emoticon

28 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
chosin fashion29 Krystald RedXXX toxicinnocence
ad360photo alanbassettphotography alexo antoinewynn bilingbo diphoto djb1 ellessephotography eosfan Essexjohn freddie GSC4X kimsandman2 Kjoservices liteangle mlp oro pafriend redbaron rscott360 RUPERT Steveh32 Willjamieson