This thread is being watched by 1 person
Sharone Loise is off-lineGold Member
04 December 2009 15:39
SharoneLoise
Model
SharoneLoise
London
London

Well let me say my opinion about this , why MUA don't have work any more , because photographers don't pay that any more or companies , because they ask the models to make their own make up , their own hair, get ready with everything , and have their own locations, in change is the same money or less, as recession :P

well donno it just that the models do accept to work for nothing as a TF as well as for £10 nude or lets say £20

Sharone

Araneae is off-lineSilver Member
09 December 2009 10:56
Araneae
Model
Araneae
Hampshire
Farnham

Quote from Kyra_Mendez
Well let me say my opinion about this , why MUA don't have work any more , because photographers don't pay that any more or companies , because they ask the models to make their own make up , their own hair, get ready with everything , and have their own locations, in change is the same money or less, as recession :P well donno it just that the models do accept to work for nothing as a TF as well as for £10 nude or lets say £20

I put up a posting offering MUAs work, and I have found an MUA that I wish to work with, at her rates.  I know that kit isn't cheap, and you more often then not get what you pay for, which is why I made a casting. 

To be fair, you can't tar us all with the same brush.  As models, we are asked to do our own hair and makeup.  There are very few ads out there for models AND MUAs, or photographers providing an MUA.  We're always expected to do our hair and makeup to high standards so as they don't need to pay out extra for an artist.

An average shoot, lets say Fashion on location for four hours, would cost a photographer £60ish to the model.  If he were paying an MUA to do two or three changes of makeup, with outfit changes, that would cost him £160ish in total.  If they wanted a studio, that would cost him another £100ish.  Thus making the shoot around £260.  Minus an MUA and a studio, he has very little to pay. 
Of course I am taking it a little out of context.  If the photographer were being paid for the shoot, they would probably hire an MUA to get the best shots for the client, but you never know.

I've seen plenty of models drop their rates considerably, even £10 for nude, and barely any more for adult.  There has been little work, but its picking up slowly.
Alternative/Fetish model, great rates!!

Karen Hegarty is off-line
09 December 2009 12:55
simplydivine
Make-up Artist
simplydivine
Cheshire

emoticon
I think we have slightly gone off track here haven't we, this thread was started about the MUA section being cut down to one section ( and even then I believe John was slightly tongue in cheek) not a thread about MUA's being paid or not .... so don't quite know how we got to this ???emoticon

Araneae is off-lineSilver Member
10 December 2009 12:03
Araneae
Model
Araneae
Hampshire
Farnham

Quote from simplydivine
emoticon
I think we have slightly gone off track here haven't we, this thread was started about the MUA section being cut down to one section ( and even then I believe John was slightly tongue in cheek) not a thread about MUA's being paid or not .... so don't quite know how we got to this ???emoticon

I think most threads go off topic!

But yes, you guys have been trimmed.  Why don't you ask for... an MUA swap shop?!  Or is that silly?
Alternative/Fetish model, great rates!!

Claire Shipman is off-line
10 December 2009 18:43
ClaireShipman
Make-up Artist
This member has been reset to pending
ClaireShipman
Nottinghamshire
Nottingham

Quote from Kyra_Mendez
 why MUA don't have work any more , because photographers don't pay that any more or companies , because they ask the models to make their own make up , their own hair, get ready with everything 

I think your assumption that photographers / companies dont pay mua's anymore shows you clearly know very little about our business. All the photographers / companies I work for appreciate and value an mua very highly over a model doing her own make up. Im working as an mua full time and am making a very good living from it, so im baffled as to why you think we are not being paid anymore.

Im glad we only have the general chat section we cant see everyone blatantly taking the micky out of us anymore.

Sorry for the Hijack John. Just my 2 cents. emoticon

Karen Hegarty is off-line
11 December 2009 06:28
simplydivine
Make-up Artist
simplydivine
Cheshire

Well they don't have to go off topic, only if people take it there.
I agree Claire tbh I'm happy with our one little general chat section where we discuss things with each other. The casting section takes 1 minute to check lol then I check in here to see if anyone got anything to say.
I also agree with the comment about photographers valuing us, most do and given a choice will hire us to do models make up, the only restraints are whether they can afford us or not.
And like you I work as a full time MUA as do a lot of the other pro's on here so there must be some paid work out there hey ?
I don't think we need more than the one little section we got anyway hahahah

12 December 2009 17:42
Secondskin
Make-up Artist
This member has been reset to pending

Quote from simplydivine
Well they don't have to go off topic, only if people take it there. I agree Claire tbh I'm happy with our one little general chat section where we discuss things with each other. The casting section takes 1 minute to check lol then I check in here to see if anyone got anything to say. I also agree with the comment about photographers valuing us, most do and given a choice will hire us to do models make up, the only restraints are whether they can afford us or not. And like you I work as a full time MUA as do a lot of the other pro's on here so there must be some paid work out there hey ? I don't think we need more than the one little section we got anyway hahahah

I totally agree with you and Claire

4 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Jessicaliu1993
clarmike jonnywoo
Charlottealom