Reminder Secure

To Chaperone....Or Not To Chaperone?...............

This thread is currently locked
Chris Conway is off-line
18 October 2009 18:02
ChrisConway
Photographer
ChrisConway
London
London

I've got a no-chaperone policy.

I'm not going to have someone watching me work or distracting the model, and I certainly wouldn't leave a complete stranger sat in my office waiting for a shoot to finish.

The only time I don't mind a chaperone is when its a location shoot as they come in handy for holding reflectors etc. But even then I wouldn't want it to be a boyfriend that was there.

I used to chaperone my ex to shoots before I started photography, I think that was more out of curiosity about the industry than for her safety, but it made her feel better having someone there with her. Now I realise how much of a pain in the ass I probably was for the photographers!

Try and compare it to other industries where you may be alone with a "professional" who you don't know well or at all. Your first driving lesson for example, would you expect your boyfriend to be able to ride along with you for your safety?
The man who smiles when things go wrong has already thought of someone to blame it on...

18 October 2009 18:03
eddkingphotography
Photographer

Quote from SAD
Tried an acid bath?

Do a Mrs Miggins into Cornish pasties...

or the Exmouth beach mud flats works well... so Russ reckons!emoticon

Cheers!

Very nice to meet you at the rapists and murderers night out yesterday by the way sir!
www.eddking.com

Megan  is off-line
18 October 2009 18:04
megan88121
Model
megan88121
Suffolk
Ipswich

hmmm, thats a clever answer, i agree with you on that
www.meganpearl.co.uk

18 October 2009 18:11
RayLiu
Photographer

MODERATORS - I hope your reading! Just a suggestion. (Wasnt going to contribute to the thread but as its still going... )

If you don't want people to keep on creating threads about Chaperones, why dont you just stick the masssive Chaperone thread at the top of this forum and make it a sticky? Better still, Matt, heres one for you, any time someone submit the words Chaperone in the title when they are starting a topic, do a pop up/or validation saying have they seen the massive thread that already exists.

Ian Dowler is off-line
18 October 2009 18:15
SAD
Photographer
SAD
Devon
Exmouth

Quote from eddkingphotography
Cheers!

Very nice to meet you at the rapists and murderers night out yesterday by the way sir!

Yes, undoubtedly see you at the Psychotics & Sociopaths Ball next month emoticon

And Megan... as somebody posted earlier, a lot of it is down to you and how each shoot adds to your experience.... maybe you should PM a few models local to you and ask them which are the most reliable/respected photographers in your area.... and then check them out....

As you've only been here a week you'll undoubtedly have been getting umpteen PM's asking you to shoot.... again check them out, ask for refs, PM models they've worked with... as you have more shoots and your experience grows then you'll be able to weed out the GWC brigade....emoticon
Kill off all my demons ~ and my angels might die too

Megan  is off-line
18 October 2009 18:24
megan88121
Model
megan88121
Suffolk
Ipswich

Quote from SAD
Yes, undoubtedly see you at the Psychotics & Sociopaths Ball next month emoticon

And Megan... as somebody posted earlier, a lot of it is down to you and how each shoot adds to your experience.... maybe you should PM a few models local to you and ask them which are the most reliable/respected photographers in your area.... and then check them out....

As you've only been here a week you'll undoubtedly have been getting umpteen PM's asking you to shoot.... again check them out, ask for refs, PM models they've worked with... as you have more shoots and your experience grows then you'll be able to weed out the GWC brigade....emoticon

emoticonThank you thats v helpful- what the GWC mean? and did i do something bad by posting this?
www.meganpearl.co.uk

Ian Dowler is off-line
18 October 2009 18:27
SAD
Photographer
SAD
Devon
Exmouth

Guy With Camera... a quite derogatory term for a photographer.....namely a sleaze who likes to see women nude or however with no interest in creating art or good images.....
Kill off all my demons ~ and my angels might die too

Megan  is off-line
18 October 2009 18:29
megan88121
Model
megan88121
Suffolk
Ipswich

Quote from SAD
Guy With Camera... a quite derogatory term for a photographer.....namely a sleaze who likes to see women nude or however with no interest in creating art or good images.....

Ahhhhh i see, ok that makes sense! I have had lots of GWC's, i think i am getting the hang of this whole thing now :-)
www.meganpearl.co.uk

18 October 2009 20:02
ARCADIA_IMAGES
Photographer

Quote from eddkingphotography
I have no problem with models bringing chaperones.. Gives my assistant someone to rape too...

EDIT - space under my patio is getting quite limited tho.. so no fatties please!

whhhhooohhh HAHAAHHAHAHAAHHHH HAAAAAA HAAAA HHH HEEEEH EHEHHEHEHEEE OMG.

hold on a sec while I nip in the larder..........

rustle rustle

emoticon THERE OK carry on

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate.

Tinkerbelle is off-line
18 October 2009 20:10
tinki05
Model
tinki05
Suffolk
East Anglia

I always feel most secure when bringing a chaperone.

Even if its to sit and have a coffee while i meet the photogapher, it just gives me more time to feel comfortable and get to know the other person.

Most of the time, now ive gained quite alot of confidence, i just have my boyfriend or a friend drive me to the shoot, help me take in my stuff to the studio or to the location... I'll have a 10 minute chat before we start the shoot then my chaperone will dissapear...

Any photographer who has a problem with this, i put in the trash..

Sorry to be blatent
www.glamour-tink.com

19 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
emmac89 Winterlilly
cliffc digitalphotos GlasgowPhotographer jamesboswell kai_kul mikehemmings PhotoSpyroS photostevo rscott360 skymouse soulc Steveh32 ttstinger TWO50 vapourtrail viewphotographic Willjamieson