studio makeup

This thread is being watched by 1 person
beyond beauty makeup is off-line
14 October 2009 03:32
martika
Model

Kent
Hawkhurst

I have recently had to start doing my own makeup for studio shoots and although i am comfortable with it i still don't know if i should use power after the foundation base is on or not use powder,does this make a difference to the picture????

jules is off-line
14 October 2009 03:48
juliamakeup
Make-up Artist

London
Mill Hill

Powder is either your best friend or your worst enemy.  My biggest tip having done both television studio work and photographic studio work, is to get a really bloody good powder.  Don't try and save money on your powder by getting something cheap, they're a false economy.  Cheap powders are often not finely milled enough (not ground up/fine enough) and often contain a lot of talc or mica, which on the models looks white, which to me looks studenty and amateurish.  I really love MAC's studio fix, which is actually a foundation but I find can double up as a great powder, or their blot powder is great too.

Don't be frightened to take a picture without powder and with powder to see the difference, then you really do get an understanding of what your tools are doing.  Guessing can make you look clever, but ultimately your photographer  won't thank you for a load of sweaty pictures.  Saying that, you may LOVE the look a make up without powder will give you, (i.e very glowy).

One more tip, don't get a massive powder brush, myself and most of the make up artists I work with apply powder with a brush as small as a etyeshadow brush for extra control and then you find you don't plonk it on so much, try this one http://www.maccosmetics.co.uk/product/spp.tmpl?CATEGORY_ID=CAT21842&PRODUCT_ID=PROD66063 

Hope this helps, and like I said dont' be frightened to do a quick test shot, to check your make up

Jules x

14 October 2009 03:55
martika
Model

Kent
Hawkhurst

thanks jules.

jules is off-line
14 October 2009 03:55
juliamakeup
Make-up Artist

London
Mill Hill

Having looked at your profile, where I can see you are a real olive beauty, may I suggest that you ask at a counter for a peach based under eye concealer.  You will notice the difference SO much and it will lift your eye area massively.  A pinkish one like yves saint laurent's touche eclat in number one would be no good,  but  no 3.  which is peachy would be perfect, but use quite a bit as it's very thin.

I would offer to do your make up for you, but I'm literally just about to give birth any day now!! x

Michelle MacGregor is off-line
14 October 2009 08:03
ProMakeupMichelle
Make-up Artist
ProMakeupMichelle
London

I agree with Julia,

Mac studio Fix is great for acheiving a smooth, made up look ensuring you stay shine free throughout your shoot & will also give your foundation a mega staying power in comparison to using a cheap powder!

Mac studio fix is in my must have KIT!

it's also important especially for photographic shoots to understand the technique of shading & highlighting on the face, using bronzers, blushers, highlighters, shimmer powders etc

If you'd like to have a lesson on how to apply photographic make-up to ensure you are acheving the looks that you need for shoots, let me know & I'd be happy to offer you a good deal & I am happy to travel to you!

I hope this helps

Michelle MacGregor - Creator & Head Make-up Artist - www.glamitwithmac.com

14 October 2009 08:42
martika
Model

Kent
Hawkhurst

so what colour should i get in the studio fix,i have olive skin and i usually use loreal infallible foundation in beige or honey

Tathiel is off-line
14 October 2009 08:56
Tathiel
Model
Tathiel
Bristol
Bristol

I never use powder. I use the Maxfactor Miracle Touch foundation and i find it's perfect!!

25 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
alishaa Cody maria_dyl SophieLouise1991 tim Zadi
antoinewynn chriscooze ChrisD cliffc david1500 duncanjames grahamsphotography James7799 jasper Leztec MIB modelboutique modjo30 Npick1 rscott360 shinywear stevegosh w4pictures westend_portfolios
tim