i have been thinking...

Victoria Howard is off-line
07 October 2009 06:18
Victoria_Howard
Make-up Artist
Victoria_Howard
Hungary
Budapest

I dont think that every one undercuts intentionally. I think many people simply dont know what they are worth.

The average 20 year old whom, has just completed their training, has probably always worked for min wage or something daft like 6.50 an hour. So they think 25.00gbp an hour is great money.

There is a real problem with training center's not teaching young people what they are worth or how to get it.

I think you guys need to tackle this at both ends. Approach the training schools so that newbies coming in aren't coming in at silly fees.

DianeDakinMUA is off-line
07 October 2009 08:25
DianeDakin
Make-up Artist
DianeDakin
Nottinghamshire
Nottingham

Apology Excepted Claire emoticon
www.dianedakin.co.uk AVAILABLE FOR WORK

Dave Laurie is off-line
07 October 2009 08:27
deetvstudio
Photographer
deetvstudio
Lancashire
Preston

Quote from DianeDakin
Apology Excepted Claire emoticon

It'd be better if it was Accepted surely?

Dave.emoticon

DianeDakinMUA is off-line
07 October 2009 08:44
DianeDakin
Make-up Artist
DianeDakin
Nottinghamshire
Nottingham

Quote from deetvstudio
It'd be better if it was Accepted surely?

Dave.emoticon

It sure would look better!  I think i may need to go back to Schoolemoticon Cant all be perfect x
www.dianedakin.co.uk AVAILABLE FOR WORK

Dave Laurie is off-line
08 October 2009 02:22
deetvstudio
Photographer
deetvstudio
Lancashire
Preston

Quote from DianeDakin
It sure would look better!  I think i may need to go back to Schoolemoticon Cant all be perfect x

Sorry Diane! As often happens, I just couldn't resist it.
And as many other Members here will testify, I'm far from perfect myself - I was half expecting a Pot-Kettle-Black image to appear from one of them.
It has jogged my memory and reminded me of a t-shirt I always wanted when I was a kid though:
"POBODY'S  NERFECT"

Dave.

Shelly is off-line
09 October 2009 10:37
Shellyb
Make-up Artist

London

Can I just put another spin on things guys. Ok the way I see it is there are quite a few factors in the issues we all feel.

I agree with what Victoria said about people coming out of college and not know what to charge, but there is also another way to look at that. You can't expect someone who has just finished college to charge as much as a make-up artist with several years experience behind them. Remember that you can do 2,3,4,& 5 day courses and come out as a "qualified make-up artist". I think a lot of the colleges fail in teaching their students a lot of basics to do with the industry, but I guess that could be argued as they will learn from experience.

The other thing is everyone is so secretive about their rates. When I approched this subject on another site I had a couple of people attack me for saying it and telling me that a make-up artists rates are their own business no-one elses. With that in mind, if no one will tell you how much they charge, how are you supposed to know if you are undercutting each other???

I agree with Claire's comments about being able to pass on work to one another without the fear of them poaching your clients. In an ideal world that wouldn't happen, but it's difficult to stop. Even if you trust someone, it may still happen. Unfotunatly that's just life.

Michelle MacGregor is off-line
13 October 2009 10:52
ProMakeupMichelle
Make-up Artist
ProMakeupMichelle
London

Hiya everyone,

I totally agree with what is being said here & on the sticking together subject, that is why I have my own team of Make-up Artists.

If I cannot do a job or am double booked or I need a a team of Artists for a fashion show or event I call on the small list of Make-up Artist I have, who I know work to a high standard as me & can represent everything I stand for in my career.

eg. I am doing a bridal fayre this weekend, I have my own stand as always & if one of my team comes along to help me out I will offer her any bookings I cannot do myself.

Networking with each other as professional Make-up Artists is key!!

Michelle MacGregor - Creator & Head Make-up Artist - www.glamitwithmac.com

The UberGirl make up Artist :p  is off-line
10 January 2010 18:25
angelmakeupartistry
Make-up Artist
This member has been reset to pending

Glasgow
glasgow

There are so many people that work for free too which annoys me!! and also half their pics are totally photoshopped to oblivion, making them look better! So some photographers may go for them because they think their work is good when its actually a pile of cow dung. This actually can take away work from us, these people under cutting so much! In my opinion too many makeup artists are being trained and there are too many fake makeup artists as I call them!xx

18 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
fionafelony hazel_rose sarahjane1
ad360photo andrewf aprilscherz3 Auctioneer ellessephotography evopro Fashionphotography george grahamsphotography nemesis Rhadamanthus Stewart1988 studio1910 Thunder_Photos westend_portfolios