Help Please! I need some advice

This thread is being watched by 1 person
Brianan_MUA is off-line
05 September 2009 06:00
Brianan
Make-up Artist

East Sussex
Uckfield

Hi I posted this a few days ago but have not received any reply's.........  emoticon

Could someone please give me their opinion on the matter as I need to reply to the guy and come up with some sort of arrangement. emoticon

Hi, I'm new to the industry and just starting out on trying to build myport and hopefully get some paid work.  I got an email for a guy whohas mentioned that he likes to cross dress and wants some help withmake-up and creating an outrageous look for his feminine side.

Hehas mentioned that he won't be able to do it at his house becausehe won't be able to get the place to himself which leads me to believenobody knows about his hobby. Now that doesn't bother me because as faras I'm concerned its what ever floats your boat honey, but my husbandis being very over protective and thinks that I shouldn't be too naiveabout it as I don't know this guy from Adam, that being said he stillthinks it would be a great opportunity for me to get some pictures formy port. He is insisting on coming with me, I'm pregnant at the momentso he could be just carrying my gear for me but I really wouldn't liketo offend or embarrass the guy if he is genuine?

I was justwondering if anyone had any thoughts on this, am I playing with fire?Has anyone else done a job like this? He has asked if I can sort alocation so should I suggest that we organise a photographer with astudio and he should pay for professional shots to be taken? Someonementioned that I get him to book a hotel room,. but would that be a bitweird?

Hope someone can give me some advice
emoticon

Frank Sinnott is online
05 September 2009 06:41
frankpht
Photographer
frankpht
London

Look for a tog with studio or similar. May not be the best thing you could put in your port. Then again why not it's all about looking good no matter where you come from. Though getting the tog on a tfp basis may be quite limited. As an mua you shouldn't have too great a problem filling your port so you can be choosy. Remember in this business you don't know anyone from Adam

I think the hubby needs to realise this as you'll be going to places you've never been to but isn't it with most things in life. You just need to be aware of your surroundings, and also realise that cross dressers are no different than you or I. Or at least the hubby should.

Dave Laurie is off-line
05 September 2009 07:06
deetvstudio
Photographer
deetvstudio
Lancashire
Preston

a). He's no more likely to be any sort of sexual predator than any other model, photographer, or MUA.
b). If he is, and he's exploring his feminine side, then perhaps your husband would be more at risk.
c). Do the job, do it well, and it'll open up new avenues of paid work. I'm sure there are plenty of others in your area, and the "transformation" market is quite lucrative. Offer a discrete service in this field of work, you could be on a winner!

Dave.

Jaw Imaging is off-lineSilver Member
05 September 2009 11:52
Two_stops
Photographer
Two_stops
Nottinghamshire
Nottingham

If you're not that far from Brighton, contact TonyS on here, and ask for a quote, he has a studio, he might even do it on a TF basis as it's something totally different for his portfolio. emoticon

John
Before digital, photography consisted of only negative comments.

Lisa Taylor is off-line
06 September 2009 13:36
lisataylor_mua
Make-up Artist
lisataylor_mua
London
Hornchurch

Quote from deetvstudio
a). He's no more likely to be any sort of sexual predator than any other model, photographer, or MUA.b). If he is, and he's exploring his feminine side, then perhaps your husband would be more at risk.c). Do the job, do it well, and it'll open up new avenues of paid work. I'm sure there are plenty of others in your area, and the "transformation" market is quite lucrative. Offer a discrete service in this field of work, you could be on a winner!Dave.

I have done several make overs for transvestite clients and find they usually pay well and appreciate the work you do for them so I agree with A and C from the quote above.  However, I don't recollect a single one of the gentlemen saying they were attracted to men, so please ignore this stereotyping!

In the past I have usually met them at a hotel, and like you, I felt it was appropriate to take my husband as a precaution.  I always made the client aware that I would be bringing someone with me, but that he would be waiting in the bar/cafe.  I must stress that this was due to the fact of meeting a stranger in a hotel and not because of the nature of the work.

With regards to meeting at a studio and having photos taken of the work you do, please be aware that catering to transvestite clients can be very sensitive.  Your client may not have decided to be open to friends and family that they do cross-dress and suggesting taking pictures may scare them off a little.  If they approach you with the idea then fair enough, but in my experience all they want is a make up lesson and tips on how they can be more convincing in their female persona.

Brianan_MUA is off-line
06 September 2009 17:29
Brianan
Make-up Artist

East Sussex
Uckfield

Thanks all so much for your comments you have really helped clarify my gut feeling that he is a very genuine guy.  I asked if he would be willing to pay a bit extra to have professional photos taken and he said yes and would be more comfortable with a female photographer. So I shall start the hunt to look for a location and tog to help with his transformation.

I think I will have to bring hubby (for his peace of mind rather than mine!) but I'm six months pregnant at the moment so it not unreasonable for him to be carrying my kit and thus avoid offending or embarrassing the client, hubby will be more than happy to wait in a local bar or coffee shop.

You are all quiet right in saying that meeting this guy is no different than meeting any other model or tog that I have been introduced to over the net and although its a wonderful and exciting business to be in you still got to keep a bit of a streetwise head on your shoulders and be aware of your suroundings.

Thanks again for your comments it's good to get the opinion of someone who isn't emotionally attached.

B

28 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
chosin Pinkerbell
digitizer diphoto djb1 duncanjames dwhphotography frankpht garylatham ImageStyle jackw James7799 Ladiesman liteangle metro mikebee orca_photography paul167 pedro88 rscott360 RupertRudd siclews steveh32 stufreeman tonyk1 vapourtrail Willjamieson
photo39