Reminder Secure

Make a model pale/white from head to toe

15 August 2009 04:42
RussFreeman
Photographer

I have a shot idea in mind but I need my models to be very pale, maybe even white. Some are really only head, shoulders but some are from head to toe. It would need to be quite evenly spready. Also, as it will be me and my models applying it it needs to be idiot proof ;-)

Any advice on what I should use ? (I have no plans to mix emulsion paint with PVA hehe)

If you know of a specific product a link would be really handy.

Thanks!

russ
If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the people to gather wood, divide the work, and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea.

KT101 is off-line
15 August 2009 04:50
kt101
Photographer
kt101
Hertfordshire
Borehamwood

I would say speak to stryjek but i believe he has been suspended.
What do I know about photography..... I'm a mechanic/milkman/driver/dogsbody. etc. etc. etc.

15 August 2009 04:56
RussFreeman
Photographer

He uses an MUA and that's no answer for me unless an MUA wants to zoom down to sunny devon for a TF* shoot or two?
If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the people to gather wood, divide the work, and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea.

Malc is off-lineSilver Member
15 August 2009 05:52
cziiki
Photographer
cziiki
London
London

Quote from RussFreeman
I have a shot idea in mind but I need my models to be very pale, maybe even white. Some are really only head, shoulders but some are from head to toe. It would need to be quite evenly spready. Also, as it will be me and my models applying it it needs to be idiot proof ;-)

Any advice on what I should use ? (I have no plans to mix emulsion paint with PVA hehe)

If you know of a specific product a link would be really handy.

Thanks!

russ

there are loads of products as this is just makeup.  The problem will be your technique in applying it which is what MUAs learn and practice over years!

Fo actual white, the standard is called Clown White and the manufacturers are Ben Nye, Mehron, Leichner, Kryolan (Supracolor Clown White is bright white), Fardel etc etc...   - apply with sponge, consider a foundation layer first for ease of blending, and practice on yourself or a convenient bystander for a few times before doing the all-over!  And allow loads more time than you thought.  It's remarkable how much skin even a slim person has.

Watch out for changes in skin over the body (minimised by foundation) - for instance calves are smooth and makeup can streak .

Consider spraying also if you can get the equipment, even coats are easier!

Charles Fox in Covent Garden (and online) and Screen Face are the major suppliers in London - I don't know about away from theatre-land, probably party shops.

Chris Conway is off-line
15 August 2009 05:59
ChrisConway
Photographer
ChrisConway
London
London

You'd need someone that can apply makeup with an airbrush ideally Russ.

Try giving Naughalty a shout on here, she has the airbrush and compressor with the body paint foundation things...
The man who smiles when things go wrong has already thought of someone to blame it on...

15 August 2009 06:58
RussFreeman
Photographer

I did think about Amy and she has indicated she'd like to do collaborate BUT she's "up there" in bristol and I doubt I'd be able to take all of my shots in one day (multiple models, different shots, different styles - same theme)...that's why I was thinking I need to reproduce the effect myself.

Thanks Malc, some great information there. I might just get some and try it on a willing victim - hey, I always do with all of my, um, um, odd shot ideas ;-)

When you say "foundation" do you mean normal makeup foundation or something a bit more industrial?

If I can't get it to work then I'll just have to beg and grovel and plead with Amy to come down a couple of times ;-)

I'd also need to think about making hair white too without it being permanent although could possibly use a wig, maybe.

russ.

Dave Laurie is off-line
15 August 2009 07:02
deetvstudio
Photographer
deetvstudio
Lancashire
Preston

A liberal dose of talcum powder could work on the hair.
Does tend to dry it out a bit though!

Dave.

Chris Conway is off-line
15 August 2009 07:12
ChrisConway
Photographer
ChrisConway
London
London

Quote from RussFreeman
When you say "foundation" do you mean normal makeup foundation or something a bit more industrial?

Well foundation just being a base layer... Its actually like powdered body paint that would be used...

The man who smiles when things go wrong has already thought of someone to blame it on...

Malc is off-lineSilver Member
15 August 2009 07:16
cziiki
Photographer
cziiki
London
London

Quote from nuflo
Well foundation just being a base layer... Its actually like powdered body paint that would be used...

I didn't mean powdered body paint!   Though several coats of paint work, the 'pale white' look may get a bit 'solid white' with multiple layers.  I'd suggest simply straightforward foundation, pale as you can find, the idea is to improve blending and cover greasy shiny skin.

15 August 2009 17:47
Secondskin
Make-up Artist
This member has been reset to pending

If you dont have the means to airbrush (which in my opinion is the only way to get even pale white coverage without it looking patchy) then gothic white foundation which can be found on ebay is an option, but it isnt idiot proof, you still need to apply it evenly. To be honest this type of work isnt really fool proof, youre better off paying for a pro if you want the job done properly Worth it in the long run.

33 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
danixhale Natpenelope Winterlilly
AndiCallen ansonphotography Blancho bradder carshaltonkev casell chriscooze cliffc david1500 dhuntuk djb1 dorrian Fluffypup FlyingShot gshocker30 KDP keltica MIB mikebee Phiesta1 philcarpenter61 Photojames43 PhotoSpyroS Pictureimage Platidonio rembrandt Rscott360 steveh32 ton viewphotographic