Reminder Secure

Am I unreasonable??

This thread is being watched by 1 person
Sian Jeffries-Jones is off-line
31 July 2009 05:14
makeup
Make-up Artist

South Yorkshire

I was contacted for a job, it was a paid job as well and.  Now I agreed to do this job at a slight rate cut as this is apparently going to be published and the job was originally going to be based in Sheffield which is easy for me to get to as I am in Rotherham.  First the date changed, then the date changed again from the second agreed day, then the photographer said he wouldn't pay on the day he'd do it by invoice, then the location changed to Leicester - I did initially agree to this but a couple of days later, after some reflection I contacted the photographer and said that I couldn't do this because including the travelling time I would be getting less than £10 per hour and financially it just was wasn't viable.  I apologised as it is not in my nature to let people down, I offered to help locate a new MUA who was closer to the shoot which I thought was the decent thing to do.  I got a terse email this morning that makes me glad I decided to cancel this shoot.

I am wondering though am I unreasonable to have cancelled.

Sian
www.artistedemaquillage.com www.locksofdesire.com

Tony S is off-line
31 July 2009 05:19
TonyS
Photographer
TonyS
West Sussex
Shoreham By Sea

No your not unreasonable.

desyek is off-line
31 July 2009 05:20
desyek
Photographer
desyek
Mid Glamorgan

Depends on how much notice before the shoot you gave before canceling - if it was less than a few days before the agreed date then you're being unreasonable.

If it left the photographer plenty of time to find someone else, then they're being unreasonable.
Mr. Jelly! Mr. Jelly! Error at Address Number 6, Treacle Mine Road. Melon melon melon +++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++ +++Whoops! Here comes the cheese! +++

rachelnadinephotography is off-line
31 July 2009 05:23
RNPhotography
Photographer

Essex
london - Edmonton, romford, chigwell

Sounds like you've handled it really well, unfortunatley not everyone is the same way inclined as you have found from the email you recieved!

take it with a pinch of salt, you've not only been accomodating with all the constant changes up until now, you've also offered to help find another mua...what more do they want?

rachelnadinephotography is off-line
31 July 2009 05:24
RNPhotography
Photographer

Essex
london - Edmonton, romford, chigwell

Quote from desyek
Depends on how much notice before the shoot you gave before canceling .

hmmm...didnt think of that! thats a good point really!

31 July 2009 05:27
jesi
Make-up Artist

I think you had every right to do this and it was good of you to offer to help find a replacement.  They have messed you around so be glad you got out of it as I'm sure there would've been yet another problem further down the line..like not being able to pay you at all!  Don't feel guilty.

desyek is off-line
31 July 2009 05:31
desyek
Photographer
desyek
Mid Glamorgan

Quote from RNPhotography
hmmm...didnt think of that! thats a good point really!

It's one of my 'key' questions when something like this happens.

If someone were to cancel a booking made in advance within 48 hours of it taking place, I'd be very 'not amused'. If I'm given around 7 days etc, that's fine - because it'll give me either a week to find someone else who'll fill the space OR give me a week to reschedule the whole thing.

I am curious as to what sort of rates the OP was offered for it to work out at around £10ph!

Mr. Jelly! Mr. Jelly! Error at Address Number 6, Treacle Mine Road. Melon melon melon +++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++ +++Whoops! Here comes the cheese! +++

Sian Jeffries-Jones is off-line
31 July 2009 05:52
makeup
Make-up Artist

South Yorkshire

I gave five days notice, which should be plenty of time to find a replacement especially if I helped and as I told him I know several MUAs who potentially could have done the job but I haven't been given the opportunity to help.

The rate I quoted was £25ph however this was negotiated down to £20 per hour on the promise of a tear sheet - this was for a 3 hour shoot based in sheffield but as I have to travel on the train to Leicester I have to add 2 hours for each journey thereby making the day 7 hours long instead of 3 - in fairness to the tog he did offer to pay £20 for my travel costs but my costs for travel were more than that anyway. So basically if you work it out I would have been getting the grand sum of £8.50per hour, oh yes and the excuse for not paying me on the day was that he didn't want me carrying around a large sum of money - all £60 of it.

Sian

feeling distinctly not amused
www.artistedemaquillage.com www.locksofdesire.com

Tony S is off-line
31 July 2009 05:54
TonyS
Photographer
TonyS
West Sussex
Shoreham By Sea

Quote from makeup
 oh yes and the excuse for not paying me on the day was that he didn't want me carrying around a large sum of money - all £60 of it.

Jesus, sounds like a TonyS is a naughty person take. I would anticipate problems getting the monet after the event, on invoice you could wait over a month as well

better off binned in my opinion

Jesfish is off-line
31 July 2009 05:55
jes
Model
jes
Suffolk
Lowestoft

Something a bit dodgy there!....That was a terrible excuse for not wanting to pay you!  You really are best off out of that one I reckon.

21 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
chloejade25 ElleLaura Emmaheron Michelledefeo1
andrewk djb1 ElegantCaptures eosfan Essexjohn fashionphotography j12345s jackcalling Jan77 kai_kul kimsandman2 oscar peterh Rupert stevegosh TinDolls Willy_O