Reminder Secure

Being told £25 per hour is expensive. Excuse me?!

This thread is being watched by 2 people
Leanne Jessica is off-lineSilver Member
05 April 2009 11:49
LeanneMakeUp
Make-up Artist
LeanneMakeUp
London
Basildon

So, a photographer contacts you quite last minute and asks your rates. You reply with £25 per hour. No special deals seeing as it's so last minute.

They reply quite grumpily and acting like £25 per hour is waaaaay expensive and as though no make-up artist should be charging it.

I am quite frankly annoyed. I have come across alot of make-up artists whom charge £25 per hour as a basic rate.

Anyone else had this problem and feel rather offended!?

Shawn Barker is off-line
05 April 2009 12:17
FrameworksMedia
Photographer
FrameworksMedia
Staffordshire
Stoke-on-Trent

Quite new to the game, but used my first MUA last week who quoted £55 for 2 hours (working local) which I thought was reasonable and didn't bother to negotiate down (though of offering £50 but whats a fiver.) End result, she worked a little longer and I had some fantastic images

Sophia Fox-Bonus is off-line
05 April 2009 16:15
FoxyBMakeup
Make-up Artist

Nottinghamshire
Newark-on-trent

Ive seen your work and I think £25 an hour is cheap! He should be lucky to get you for such a good rate. The cheek of it!

SaraJx is off-line
05 April 2009 16:45
SaraJx
Model
SaraJx
Clwyd
Wrexham

Your work is great, you probably should charge more

Simon Chan is off-line
05 April 2009 17:02
Chandos
Photographer

Merseyside
Liverpool

Had contacts from a model asking me about tfcd, I said fine I will do it as a favour, because she is not what I have in mind for my portfolio I said to her what she is asking requires a studio and she have to pay the cost of hiring one which I can recommend.
She never got back.

I am not a social worker.

Eleanor James is off-line
06 April 2009 05:06
EleanorJames
Make-up Artist

Kent
ashford

everyone just wants everything for free especially when it comes to mua ... as soon as u mention rates to a photographer they say there arent interested as only want tf!!!!!! i think every mua should only accept paid work then they would soon has a nasty shock and realise £25 a hour is a bargain

Claire Shipman is off-line
06 April 2009 10:46
ClaireShipman
Make-up Artist
This member has been reset to pending
ClaireShipman
Nottinghamshire
Nottingham

Hi Leanne,

There are a LOT of people in this business that dont appreciate what it costs to create a fantastic image.

£25 / hr for a London based mua is very reasonable as I know a few on £350 per 8 hour day. Someone once told me "Dont buy in work" and its very true, those are your rates, they can like it or lump it.  

I recently had a model tell me "I charge less than that per hour for nude work!" I felt like replying with "but you dont need training and around £2,000 worth of kit to get your t*ts and bits out do you love?" but I didn't unfortunatley as im too polite for my own good.

I would politely reply with something along the lines of "These are my rates, always have been, always will be, if you think they are too expensive nthats fair enough please feel free to try and find someone of my standard for less"

Claireemoticon

06 April 2009 10:48
Secondskin
Make-up Artist

I totally agree with Claire. Im constantly getting this. Everyone loving my work and cant wait to work with me and as soon as i mention my rates.......tumbleweed!!!!!emoticon  £25.00 an hour is a good rate, I charge more than that and do you know why???? because my work is worth it and so is yours...Makeup artists do fantastic jobs and why should we feel pushed into lowering our already reasonable prices. STUFF THAT!!!  Hang on in there and just ignore the moans and groans....If they really want to work with you then they like your work and if they like your work then anyone who isnt timewasting will pay you for your time.

DONT feel guilty...Its a job like any other and people wouldnt walk into a shop and moan about the price and try and get it for free!!!!! PURESTORM needs to address this problem once and for all

Iv already said on the forums that MUAs should halt doing all the TFP and see the results!!..I never do TFP now unless its REALLY something I WANT to be doing myself and an idea i want to get out there.

Its getting ridiculous when MUAs who are worth their weight in gold are made to feel like this emoticon 

Dynamo is off-line
06 April 2009 10:59
dynamo
Model
dynamo
Berkshire
Bracknell

Hun, I've seen your work and £25 an hour is a very reasonable price!  Dont worry about cheap skates who dont appreciate the work that goes into becoming a fantastic MUA as you are.
D x

Claire Shipman is off-line
06 April 2009 13:23
ClaireShipman
Make-up Artist
ClaireShipman
Nottinghamshire
Nottingham

Yay for the lovely models in this forum emoticon

29 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Crowlex Lusciousabi29 stevepm Sxcemma123
abouncer android_man Andy_B big_err clarmike Davebu david1500 dby47 eosfan glamorphotos hodgen kaosrox Kjoservices laurencejpower MAMAMIYA MIB Phiesta1 PhotoSpyroS Puremoods rdp redbaron rtmphoto steveh32 WESTEND_PORTFOLIOS
wendyanne